High-profile superyachts have begun arriving in hotspots across the Mediterranean, with a fine fleet now gathered in Cannes for the annual Cannes Film Festival. As usual, this indicates the Mediterranean yacht charter season is about to get underway and serves as a pressing reminder for charterers to book up their summer yachting vacations before it’s too late.
Every year in May, the 11-day Cannes Film Festival shines the spotlight on the French Riviera. Actors and actresses walk the iconic red carpet of the Palais des Festivals with paparazzi vying for the perfect shot and pictures published across international media outlets the next day.
Renowned for giving a platform to upcoming directors and performers of all nationalities, the festival is the largest of its kind in the world. Films are premiered throughout the week, with the ultimate aim of impressing a jury of judges, this year led by actress Cate Blanchett.
The film festival also serves as an iconic meeting point for luxury yachts, whether berthed in the Old Port next door to the Palais des Festivals or anchored off the coast nearby.
This time of the year sees Cannes at its most glamorous and star-studded, and renting a luxury yacht enables charterers to soak up the glitzy atmosphere. It is an unrivalled opportunity to see and be seen, as well as to host a glittering event charter and wow all those invited aboard.
But, the superyacht action on the French Riviera is far from over when the festival draws to a close, which, in 2018, will be on 19 May. Most of the luxury yachts in town will make their way eastwards along the coast to Monaco in time for the next big event: the Monaco Grand Prix.
This time of the year sees Cannes at its most glamorous and star-studded, and renting a luxury yacht enables charterers to soak up the glitzy atmosphere
The principality has, however, already hosted one racing meet already this season: the biennial Monaco Historic Grand Prix. Taking place from 11 to 13 May, the sporting meet saw vintage F1 cars take to the streets of Monaco in front of an audience of avid spectators and superyachts alike.
Arguably the most high-profile event to take place on the Cote d’Azur, the Monaco Grand Prix runs from 24 to 27 May. There is much competition among superyachts to secure a Zone A berth in Port Hercules, around which wraps the thrilling street circuit.
Chartering a luxury yacht and berthing trackside is the ultimate way to experience the race. Hear the roaring engines, feel the vibrations, catch the flash of cars whizz past and become totally immersed in the electrifying atmosphere of the most glamorous fixture on the F1 circuit.
Those renting a motor yacht should make sure there is a large-screen TV on board so guests never miss a moment of the action. Then, when the racing is over, the attention turns to the glittering VIP superyacht parties for which the Grand Prix is renowned.
Once the formula one action has abated, charter activity across the Mediterranean starts to increase, reaching its peak from mid-July until the end of August. The most popular charter destinations are the South of France, Corsica, Italy and Ibiza, as well as Croatia, Greece and Turkey.
Competition for Mediterranean yacht charters is notoriously stiff and some of the best superyachts are already reported to be full. This means, those who haven’t booked yet, need to do so soon or they run the risk of missing out on undertaking a private yacht charter this summer.
- The best brand-new superyachts for charter in 2019Be among the first to step on board a brand new superyacht with our round-up of the best recently-delivered yachts avai...
- VIDEO: Feadship transports 93m charter yacht ‘Lady S’ In a recent video, Feadship gives viewers a behind-the-scenes glimpse into how they moved their 93m/ 305ft megayacht ‘L...
- M/Y ‘Christina O’ available to charter at a reduced rate in the MediterraneanExplore Mediterranean hotspots such as the South of France and the Italian Riviera at a reduced rate on board one of th...
- 93m Feadship M/Y ‘Lady S’ joins the charter fleet It was announced this morning that Feadship’s latest masterpiece, the 93m/305ft superyacht ‘Lady S’, will be available ...
- Australia charter special announced on M/Y ‘Infinity Pacific’Enjoy nine days for the price of seven on Whitsundays yacht charters on board the 40m/133ft motor yacht ‘Infinity Pacif...
- 82m superyacht ROMEA available for South of France event chartersThe 82m/268ft motor yacht ROMEA has announced she is still available for Monaco Grand Prix yacht charters and Cannes Fi...