High-profile superyachts have begun arriving in hotspots across the Mediterranean, with a fine fleet now gathered in Cannes for the annual Cannes Film Festival. As usual, this indicates the Mediterranean yacht charter season is about to get underway and serves as a pressing reminder for charterers to book up their summer yachting vacations before it’s too late.
Every year in May, the 11-day Cannes Film Festival shines the spotlight on the French Riviera. Actors and actresses walk the iconic red carpet of the Palais des Festivals with paparazzi vying for the perfect shot and pictures published across international media outlets the next day.
Renowned for giving a platform to upcoming directors and performers of all nationalities, the festival is the largest of its kind in the world. Films are premiered throughout the week, with the ultimate aim of impressing a jury of judges, this year led by actress Cate Blanchett.
The film festival also serves as an iconic meeting point for luxury yachts, whether berthed in the Old Port next door to the Palais des Festivals or anchored off the coast nearby.
This time of the year sees Cannes at its most glamorous and star-studded, and renting a luxury yacht enables charterers to soak up the glitzy atmosphere. It is an unrivalled opportunity to see and be seen, as well as to host a glittering event charter and wow all those invited aboard.
But, the superyacht action on the French Riviera is far from over when the festival draws to a close, which, in 2018, will be on 19 May. Most of the luxury yachts in town will make their way eastwards along the coast to Monaco in time for the next big event: the Monaco Grand Prix.
This time of the year sees Cannes at its most glamorous and star-studded, and renting a luxury yacht enables charterers to soak up the glitzy atmosphere
The principality has, however, already hosted one racing meet already this season: the biennial Monaco Historic Grand Prix. Taking place from 11 to 13 May, the sporting meet saw vintage F1 cars take to the streets of Monaco in front of an audience of avid spectators and superyachts alike.
Arguably the most high-profile event to take place on the Cote d’Azur, the Monaco Grand Prix runs from 24 to 27 May. There is much competition among superyachts to secure a Zone A berth in Port Hercules, around which wraps the thrilling street circuit.
Chartering a luxury yacht and berthing trackside is the ultimate way to experience the race. Hear the roaring engines, feel the vibrations, catch the flash of cars whizz past and become totally immersed in the electrifying atmosphere of the most glamorous fixture on the F1 circuit.
Those renting a motor yacht should make sure there is a large-screen TV on board so guests never miss a moment of the action. Then, when the racing is over, the attention turns to the glittering VIP superyacht parties for which the Grand Prix is renowned.
Once the formula one action has abated, charter activity across the Mediterranean starts to increase, reaching its peak from mid-July until the end of August. The most popular charter destinations are the South of France, Corsica, Italy and Ibiza, as well as Croatia, Greece and Turkey.
Competition for Mediterranean yacht charters is notoriously stiff and some of the best superyachts are already reported to be full. This means, those who haven’t booked yet, need to do so soon or they run the risk of missing out on undertaking a private yacht charter this summer.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- 82m M/Y KIBO joins the global charter marketIt has been revealed that the award-winning 82m/266ft motor yacht KIBO is now available for charter in popular Mediterr...
- Brand new ‘go-anywhere' M/Y ‘Planet Nine’ to open for charterAn incredibly powerful world explorer in a class of its own, the brand new 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Planet Nine’ from Adm...
- 6 brand new charter yachts entering the market in 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best new superyachts in 2018.
- Blue Planet TV series superyacht ALUCIA now available to charterCausing a sensation when she appeared on the second season of the hit BBC series Blue Planet in winter, the 56m/183ft e...