High-profile superyachts have begun arriving in hotspots across the Mediterranean, with a fine fleet now gathered in Cannes for the annual Cannes Film Festival. As usual, this indicates the Mediterranean yacht charter season is about to get underway and serves as a pressing reminder for charterers to book up their summer yachting vacations before it’s too late.
Every year in May, the 11-day Cannes Film Festival shines the spotlight on the French Riviera. Actors and actresses walk the iconic red carpet of the Palais des Festivals with paparazzi vying for the perfect shot and pictures published across international media outlets the next day.
Renowned for giving a platform to upcoming directors and performers of all nationalities, the festival is the largest of its kind in the world. Films are premiered throughout the week, with the ultimate aim of impressing a jury of judges, this year led by actress Cate Blanchett.
The film festival also serves as an iconic meeting point for luxury yachts, whether berthed in the Old Port next door to the Palais des Festivals or anchored off the coast nearby.
This time of the year sees Cannes at its most glamorous and star-studded, and renting a luxury yacht enables charterers to soak up the glitzy atmosphere. It is an unrivalled opportunity to see and be seen, as well as to host a glittering event charter and wow all those invited aboard.
But, the superyacht action on the French Riviera is far from over when the festival draws to a close, which, in 2018, will be on 19 May. Most of the luxury yachts in town will make their way eastwards along the coast to Monaco in time for the next big event: the Monaco Grand Prix.
This time of the year sees Cannes at its most glamorous and star-studded, and renting a luxury yacht enables charterers to soak up the glitzy atmosphere
The principality has, however, already hosted one racing meet already this season: the biennial Monaco Historic Grand Prix. Taking place from 11 to 13 May, the sporting meet saw vintage F1 cars take to the streets of Monaco in front of an audience of avid spectators and superyachts alike.
Arguably the most high-profile event to take place on the Cote d’Azur, the Monaco Grand Prix runs from 24 to 27 May. There is much competition among superyachts to secure a Zone A berth in Port Hercules, around which wraps the thrilling street circuit.
Chartering a luxury yacht and berthing trackside is the ultimate way to experience the race. Hear the roaring engines, feel the vibrations, catch the flash of cars whizz past and become totally immersed in the electrifying atmosphere of the most glamorous fixture on the F1 circuit.
Those renting a motor yacht should make sure there is a large-screen TV on board so guests never miss a moment of the action. Then, when the racing is over, the attention turns to the glittering VIP superyacht parties for which the Grand Prix is renowned.
Once the formula one action has abated, charter activity across the Mediterranean starts to increase, reaching its peak from mid-July until the end of August. The most popular charter destinations are the South of France, Corsica, Italy and Ibiza, as well as Croatia, Greece and Turkey.
Competition for Mediterranean yacht charters is notoriously stiff and some of the best superyachts are already reported to be full. This means, those who haven’t booked yet, need to do so soon or they run the risk of missing out on undertaking a private yacht charter this summer.
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2019Make it your New Year’s resolution to charter a brand new superyacht with our round-up of the latest yachts to have hit...
- New video paints a picture of tranquility on M/Y O’PTASIAProspective charter guests can now get a taste for the levels of luxury they can expect to find on board the 85m/279ft ...
- Benetti M/Y SPECTRE joins the charter fleetCommissioned by experienced owner John Staluppi, the 69m/227ft superyacht SPECTRE has unveiled her charter availability...
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- First look inside brand new M/Y SOLOPhotos of the 72m/236ft charter yacht SOLO have just been released, giving an exclusive insight into the deck spaces an...
- Sail and ski in Norway aboard S/Y FIREBIRD The 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD from UK-based Oyster Yachts is offering a unique sailing and skiing charter experie...