A diverse fleet of nine sailing yachts signed up to compete at this year’s regatta, and they were organised into two classes to provide fair and competitive racing.
Unfavourable weather conditions, including the lack of wind and heavy rain, put a stop to racing during the first two days of the event. But, fortunately, the weather picked up on day three so racing could go ahead.
An early start time meant the race committee could schedule two races to help make up for those missed. The 40m/130ft sailing yacht ‘My Song’ from Baltic Yachts in Class A and the 27m/89ft Concordia sailing yacht SAVANNAH in Class B took home two wins each.
On day four, the fleet was challenged to a 31-mile course around the La Maddalena archipelago. There was a reduced number of yachts in Class A, however.
Both the 35m/115ft sailing yacht ‘Highland Fling XV’ from Nautor’s Swan and Vitters’ 33m/109ft sailing yacht INOUI sustained keel damage the previous day after making contact with unchartered reef, while the 45m/148ft sailing yacht SAUDADE had to withdraw due to problems with her sails.
This enabled My Song, the only yacht left in Class A, to pick up her third victory and claim her position as the overall winner of the 2018 edition.
It's great to win, it's a wonderful regatta and the best location in the world.
In Class B, the four participants sailed a flawless race, with the 46m/151ft charter yacht GANESHA from Vitters looking particularly poised out on the Mediterranean waters. But, in the end, it was SAVANNAH who took the victory with a lead of just 33 seconds.
This meant SAVANNAH claimed the overall victory in Class B, followed by GANESHA in second place and the 37m/123ft sailing yacht ESCAPADE from Fitzroy in third place. Fellow Fitzroy build, the 50m/163ft charter yacht OHANA, was fourth on the leaderboard.
The annual Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta presents a brilliant opportunity to undertake a regatta charter. It’s also possible to arrange an Italy yacht charter and watch from the sidelines aboard a superyacht before exploring Sardinia and the other beautiful coastlines of the country.
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- BEST PHOTOS: Monaco Yacht Show 2018YachtCharterFleet has handpicked the best photos from more than 6,000 Instagram posts to help you get straight to the h...
- First look inside brand new 85m M/Y O’PTASIABrand new and available to charter in Greece, the 85m/279ft motor yacht O’PTASIA has released some fresh images of the ...
- Feadship M/Y JOY now available for Caribbean yacht charterMaking her Caribbean debut, the magnificent 70m/230ft motor yacht JOY is now open to enquiries for luxury yacht charter...