A diverse fleet of nine sailing yachts signed up to compete at this year’s regatta, and they were organised into two classes to provide fair and competitive racing.
Unfavourable weather conditions, including the lack of wind and heavy rain, put a stop to racing during the first two days of the event. But, fortunately, the weather picked up on day three so racing could go ahead.
An early start time meant the race committee could schedule two races to help make up for those missed. The 40m/130ft sailing yacht ‘My Song’ from Baltic Yachts in Class A and the 27m/89ft Concordia sailing yacht SAVANNAH in Class B took home two wins each.
On day four, the fleet was challenged to a 31-mile course around the La Maddalena archipelago. There was a reduced number of yachts in Class A, however.
Both the 35m/115ft sailing yacht ‘Highland Fling XV’ from Nautor’s Swan and Vitters’ 33m/109ft sailing yacht INOUI sustained keel damage the previous day after making contact with unchartered reef, while the 45m/148ft sailing yacht SAUDADE had to withdraw due to problems with her sails.
This enabled My Song, the only yacht left in Class A, to pick up her third victory and claim her position as the overall winner of the 2018 edition.
It's great to win, it's a wonderful regatta and the best location in the world.
In Class B, the four participants sailed a flawless race, with the 46m/151ft charter yacht GANESHA from Vitters looking particularly poised out on the Mediterranean waters. But, in the end, it was SAVANNAH who took the victory with a lead of just 33 seconds.
This meant SAVANNAH claimed the overall victory in Class B, followed by GANESHA in second place and the 37m/123ft sailing yacht ESCAPADE from Fitzroy in third place. Fellow Fitzroy build, the 50m/163ft charter yacht OHANA, was fourth on the leaderboard.
The annual Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta presents a brilliant opportunity to undertake a regatta charter. It’s also possible to arrange an Italy yacht charter and watch from the sidelines aboard a superyacht before exploring Sardinia and the other beautiful coastlines of the country.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- 82m M/Y KIBO joins the global charter marketIt has been revealed that the award-winning 82m/266ft motor yacht KIBO is now available for charter in popular Mediterr...
- Brand new ‘go-anywhere' M/Y ‘Planet Nine’ to open for charterAn incredibly powerful world explorer in a class of its own, the brand new 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Planet Nine’ from Adm...
- 6 brand new charter yachts entering the market in 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best new superyachts in 2018.
- Blue Planet TV series superyacht ALUCIA now available to charterCausing a sensation when she appeared on the second season of the hit BBC series Blue Planet in winter, the 56m/183ft e...