Maltese Falcon topped the leader board in the eight-strong Corinthian Spirit Class, beating 52m/171ft sailing yacht TAMSEN and the 64m/210ft charter yacht ‘Spirit of the C’s’.
Usually a biennial event, the cup was last held in 2015, when superyacht Maltese Falcon was placed in fifth after winning both the 2009 and 2011 editions.
This year, on the first day of the competition, wind speeds of 18 to 21 knots and long downwind stretches suited the three-masted charter yacht and she returned to her winning ways.
She was able to replicate this form for the next two days, with strong winds on day three testing all the competitors as they headed south to circumnavigate the islands of Mortorio and Soffi.
With wind speeds reaching 27 knots, the course had to be shortened but Maltese Falcon was able to cross the finish line five minutes ahead of second-place finisher, the 45m/148ft charter yacht BLUSH.
Maltese Falcon was able to cross the finish line five minutes ahead of second-place finisher, the 45m/148ft charter yacht BLUSH
The third day saw exciting action in the Cruiser Racer class too, as SEAHAWK beat SILENCIO to the finish line by 20 minutes, but it wasn’t enough to knock the class-winner off the top spot.
Accompanying each day of racing was a brilliant social programme, including wine tasting and a cocktail event. The regatta also highlighted the beautiful cruising grounds of the Italian island and what scenery and facilities travellers can expect from a Sardinia yacht charter.
- World’s largest explorer yacht REV hits the waterThe 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has hit the water for the first time at the VARD shipyard in Romania.
- 86m S/Y AQUIJO now available to charter in remote South Atlantic islandsThe 86m/282ft sailing yacht AQUIJO is available to charter in the South Atlantic islands of Ascension Island, Tristan d...
- Sneak peak: Inside 136m ‘Flying Fox’, the world’s largest superyacht for charterDelivered earlier this year, the 136m/446ft motor yacht ‘Flying Fox’ made plenty of waves when she joined the internati...
- Video: 140m megayacht 'Project Lightning' on sea trialsLurssen’s 140m/459ft motor yacht ‘Project Lightning’ has been captured embarking on sea trials.
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.