The 90 day restriction has been extended for tourist vessels staying in the Maldives.
The previous rule which allowed a 90 day stay for tourist vessels in the Maldives has now officially changed to a new rule, allowing for a 180 day stay. If the boat is registered in IMO, this can be extended to up to 270 days in total. According to the new immigration law: “Crews should fly to another country within 90 days for an extension and on return they will get an additional 30 days free of charge and 60 days with extension - same as first time. This can be repeated.” This is fantastic news that will be welcomed with open arms by superyacht owners and charter captains alike.
The Maldives is one of the most fascinating yachting destinations in the world and is fast emerging as a favourite yacht charter destination. A group of 19 atolls, the Maldives are an entirely natural formation and only a small number of the islands are inhabited. The flat islands are formed by coral layers with the highest point rarely more than 6 feet above sea level.
Positioned in the Indian Ocean, 670 km south-west of Sri Lanka, the archipelago is spread out over 700 km and rarely suffers from major storms, being sheltered by barrier reefs. The tiny coral islets provide fantastic cruising and the weather is pleasantly warm all year round, ranging from 27 to 32 degrees Celsius and typically consisting of sunny days, breezy nights, balmy mornings and stunning sunsets.
Talk to your charter broker about making the most of these new rules and discovering this unique destination for yourself. Read our area guide on the Maldives and see the all Maldives luxury charter yachts currently available in the area.
The Maldives is one of the most fascinating yachting destinations in the world and is fast emerging as a favourite yacht charter destination.
- World’s largest explorer yacht REV hits the waterThe 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has hit the water for the first time at the VARD shipyard in Romania.
- 86m S/Y AQUIJO now available to charter in remote South Atlantic islandsThe 86m/282ft sailing yacht AQUIJO is available to charter in the South Atlantic islands of Ascension Island, Tristan d...
- Sneak peak: Inside 136m ‘Flying Fox’, the world’s largest superyacht for charterDelivered earlier this year, the 136m/446ft motor yacht ‘Flying Fox’ made plenty of waves when she joined the internati...
- Video: 140m megayacht 'Project Lightning' on sea trialsLurssen’s 140m/459ft motor yacht ‘Project Lightning’ has been captured embarking on sea trials.
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.