Racing Gets Underway at the Superyacht Cup Palma
Day one of racing at the Superyacht Cup Palma got off to a fine start this morning with a total of 22 superyachts preparing to compete in the momentous 20th edition of the regatta.
Setting the scene for three days of thrilling racing, the SYC Regatta Village is buzzing with excitement, the yachts are fully tuned, and Owners and crew are fired up to compete in what is anticipated to be one of the toughest events on this year’s superyacht racing calendar.
Almost half of the sailing yachts signed up for the Mediterranean race are available for charter, including Vitters’ 46m/151ft sailing yacht GANESHA. A strong contender, she has notched up regatta wins in St Barths and Sardinia, and finished second in her class at last year’s Palma cup.
The award-winning 38m/124ft sailing yacht P2, delivered by Perini Navi in 2008, is entered into the competition too and will be hoping for a podium finish this year after finishing fourth in her class at the 2015 event.
All eyes are expected to be on newly launched 39m/127ft charter yacht ATALANTE to see how she fares after scooping an iconic Neptune trophy at the World Superyacht Awards earlier this year. Launched in 2015 from the Claasen yard, she will aim to make her mark against the more experienced competitors.
Yet, they will all be facing stiff competition from the 46m/151ft sailing yacht UNFURLED, who was likewise launched just last year but bagged a win at the 2016 St Barths Bucket, as well as the 45m/147ft sailing yacht ‘Mari Cha III’, known to have reached speeds in excess of 30 knots.
Plus, the 45m/148ft sailing yacht SAUDADE will be hoping to defend her title after finishing third in her class in 2015, while other new names to look out for include the 32m/105ft sailing yacht ‘Sea Wind’ and the 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD.
New names to look out for include the 32m/105ft sailing yacht ‘Sea Wind’ and the 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD
Yesterday the event got underway with the Big Class Day Sail, where five vintage schooners took to the Palma waters to showcase their grace and good looks much to the delight of onlookers, and a lively social programme is planned to take place alongside the racing.
Alternatively take a look at all luxury yachts available for charter in the Balearics.
CHARTER YACHTS COMPETING AT THE SUPERYACHT CUP PALMA:
Germania Nova Yacht For Charter
55m Marin LuxurYachts, 2011
Ganesha Yacht For Charter
46m Vitters, 2013
Salperton Yacht For Charter
45m Fitzroy, 2009
Tenaz Yacht For Charter
40m Pendennis, 1996 / 2009
Atalante Yacht For Charter
39m Claasen Shipyards, 2015
P2 Yacht For Charter
38m Perini Navi, 2008
Sojana Yacht For Charter
34m Green Marine, 2003 / 2009
Penelope Yacht For Charter
30m Oyster Yachts, 2012
Tempus Fugit Yacht For Charter
27m Arkin Pruva Argos Yachts, 2013
- S/Y ALEXA Opens for Charters for Two in IndonesiaThe 31m/102ft sailing yacht ALEXA is a one-cabin phinisi offering romantic adventures for two in the magnificent archip...
- 10 of the Best Motor Yachts Available For Charter in 2017With so many outstanding options on offer for 2017, we take a look at 10 of the best motor yachts to consider for your ...
- M/Y ‘Grace E’ Opens for America’s Cup CharterThe award-winning 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Grace E’ will be in Bermuda this summer, offering guests an unforgettable char...
- M/Y HARMONYA Now Available For CharterOriginally built by the Benetti Sail Division in 2005 and refit to an incredibly high standard in 2010, the 29m/94ft mo...
- M/Y SERENITY Joins the Global Charter FleetThe 41m/133ft superyacht SERENITY is now available for charter in the Bahamas and Caribbean following her launch from C...
- Feadship M/Y AQUARIUS Opens for CharterFollowing her sensational launch last September, the 92m/302ft motor yacht AQUARIUS from Feadship has now become availa...