Day one of racing at the Superyacht Cup Palma got off to a fine start this morning with a total of 22 superyachts preparing to compete in the momentous 20th edition of the regatta.
Setting the scene for three days of thrilling racing, the SYC Regatta Village is buzzing with excitement, the yachts are fully tuned, and Owners and crew are fired up to compete in what is anticipated to be one of the toughest events on this year’s superyacht racing calendar.
Almost half of the sailing yachts signed up for the Mediterranean race are available for charter, including Vitters’ 46m/151ft sailing yacht GANESHA. A strong contender, she has notched up regatta wins in St Barths and Sardinia, and finished second in her class at last year’s Palma cup.
The award-winning 38m/124ft sailing yacht P2, delivered by Perini Navi in 2008, is entered into the competition too and will be hoping for a podium finish this year after finishing fourth in her class at the 2015 event.
All eyes are expected to be on newly launched 39m/127ft charter yacht ATALANTE to see how she fares after scooping an iconic Neptune trophy at the World Superyacht Awards earlier this year. Launched in 2015 from the Claasen yard, she will aim to make her mark against the more experienced competitors.
Yet, they will all be facing stiff competition from the 46m/151ft sailing yacht UNFURLED, who was likewise launched just last year but bagged a win at the 2016 St Barths Bucket, as well as the 45m/147ft sailing yacht ‘Mari Cha III’, known to have reached speeds in excess of 30 knots.
Plus, the 45m/148ft sailing yacht SAUDADE will be hoping to defend her title after finishing third in her class in 2015, while other new names to look out for include the 32m/105ft sailing yacht ‘Sea Wind’ and the 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD.
New names to look out for include the 32m/105ft sailing yacht ‘Sea Wind’ and the 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD
Yesterday the event got underway with the Big Class Day Sail, where five vintage schooners took to the Palma waters to showcase their grace and good looks much to the delight of onlookers, and a lively social programme is planned to take place alongside the racing.
Alternatively take a look at all luxury yachts available for charter in the Balearics.
- Brand new ‘go-anywhere' M/Y ‘Planet Nine’ to open for charterAn incredibly powerful world explorer in a class of its own, the brand new 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Planet Nine’ from Adm...
- 6 brand new charter yachts entering the market in 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...
- The 5 Largest Charter Yachts Launched In 2017Rounding-up some of the hottest deliveries of the year, we countdown the 5 largest charter yachts which were launched i...
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best new superyachts in 2018.
- Blue Planet TV series superyacht ALUCIA now available to charterCausing a sensation when she appeared on the second season of the hit BBC series Blue Planet in winter, the 56m/183ft e...
- Inside Below Deck Mediterranean Season 3 M/Y ‘Talisman Maiton’Premiering on Bravo TV on 15th May, Below Deck Mediterranean Season 3 will see Captain Sandy Yawn and a cast of familia...