Day one of racing at the Superyacht Cup Palma got off to a fine start this morning with a total of 22 superyachts preparing to compete in the momentous 20th edition of the regatta.
Setting the scene for three days of thrilling racing, the SYC Regatta Village is buzzing with excitement, the yachts are fully tuned, and Owners and crew are fired up to compete in what is anticipated to be one of the toughest events on this year’s superyacht racing calendar.
Almost half of the sailing yachts signed up for the Mediterranean race are available for charter, including Vitters’ 46m/151ft sailing yacht GANESHA. A strong contender, she has notched up regatta wins in St Barths and Sardinia, and finished second in her class at last year’s Palma cup.
The award-winning 38m/124ft sailing yacht P2, delivered by Perini Navi in 2008, is entered into the competition too and will be hoping for a podium finish this year after finishing fourth in her class at the 2015 event.
All eyes are expected to be on newly launched 39m/127ft charter yacht ATALANTE to see how she fares after scooping an iconic Neptune trophy at the World Superyacht Awards earlier this year. Launched in 2015 from the Claasen yard, she will aim to make her mark against the more experienced competitors.
Yet, they will all be facing stiff competition from the 46m/151ft sailing yacht UNFURLED, who was likewise launched just last year but bagged a win at the 2016 St Barths Bucket, as well as the 45m/147ft sailing yacht ‘Mari Cha III’, known to have reached speeds in excess of 30 knots.
Plus, the 45m/148ft sailing yacht SAUDADE will be hoping to defend her title after finishing third in her class in 2015, while other new names to look out for include the 32m/105ft sailing yacht ‘Sea Wind’ and the 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD.
New names to look out for include the 32m/105ft sailing yacht ‘Sea Wind’ and the 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD
Yesterday the event got underway with the Big Class Day Sail, where five vintage schooners took to the Palma waters to showcase their grace and good looks much to the delight of onlookers, and a lively social programme is planned to take place alongside the racing.
Alternatively take a look at all luxury yachts available for charter in the Balearics.
- First look inside brand new M/Y SOLOPhotos of the 72m/236ft charter yacht SOLO have just been released, giving an exclusive insight into the deck spaces an...
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- Sail and ski in Norway aboard S/Y FIREBIRD The 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD from UK-based Oyster Yachts is offering a unique sailing and skiing charter experie...