Organisers of the Newport Bucket have announced that the 2015 event will not take place, with its return set for 2016 under new management and a new name, the ‘Candy Store Cup.’ The 2016 Candy Store Cup is set to be held in New England next summer, with provisional dates of 21-24 July 2016.
The event once known as the Newport Bucket is no more, with a newly branded event organised by a local partnership of Newport Shipyard owner, Charlie Dana, and owner of Bannister’s Wharf, David Ray taking its place next summer. The event was previously organised by Bucket Regattas, with its new look hoped to attract increased numbers to the regatta event.
On July 2, organisers released a statement saying, " After careful assessment, the Bucket stewards have decided that it is in the best interest of the regatta and prospective participants to cancel this year's regatta (August 27-30)." Only two entries had been received for the race.
Speaking on the change, Newport Shipyard’s Manager, Eli Dana commented, “We’re just looking forward to continuing superyacht racing in Newport and trying to get the number of boats back up again. We will try to adopt a more casual feel than in recent years, and try and bring it back to what the Bucket felt like back in Nantucket originally.” He added, “It’s not about making money; we want it to be a success for bringing boats to Newport.”
Previous organisers have said they relinquished control of the event to boost local interest in the event. Bucket steward and Perini Navi USA President stated that he is sure the new team will “create an event that, like the Bucket, will bring spectacular superyachts together with sportsmanship and camaraderie,” thanks to benefitting from the “local relationships and knowledge to carve out a new chapter for superyacht racing in Newport.”
Director and race chairman for Bucket Regattas, Peter Craig, has showed support for the event, stating that Newport Bucket will “be better off in local hands” and that moving the date to earlier in the summer “is a good move.”
Held in late August since 2002, the new-look event has announced provisional dates of Thursday 21 to Sunday 24 July to have a wide appeal to participants, and coincide with the local folk festival.
For more details about attending the next edition of Candy Store Cup (previously known as the Newport Bucket regatta), please get in touch with your preferred charter broker.
Or take the time to browse all superyachts available for a New England luxury yacht charter.
bring it back to what the Bucket felt like back in Nantucket originally.
- Popular Marinas Reopen In The CaribbeanIn yet more good news for the Caribbean, it was revealed today that key marinas in the Virgin Islands and St Martin hav...
- New M/Y ‘Liquid Sky’ Joins Global Charter FleetThe newly launched 47m/154ft motor yacht ‘Liquid Sky’ is the latest addition to the charter market and will be availabl...
- Charter Yacht SKYLER Wins ‘Best of the Best’ AwardStorming to victory at an awards ceremony hosted by the Robb Report China last week, the 38m/125ft motor yacht SKYLER w...
- Where Can I Charter In The Caribbean This Winter?As the Caribbean returns to its historic glory following weather complications earlier this year, we provide a fresh up...
- 10 Of The Best Brand New Yachts To Charter In 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best brand new superyachts in 2018.
- 6 Brand New Charter Yachts To Look Out For In 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...