With a long and successful maritime history, Greece remains at the heart of southern Europe’s yachting world and, looking back on its popularity and ranking over the past 12 months, it’s easy to spot the country’s ever-growing appeal as a charter destination.
Early in 2016, Condé Nast Traveller magazine selected Greece as one of the top six destinations to visit in May, as well as naming 14 Greek islands as the ideal summer destinations.
Among those singled out were the Cycladic islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Tinos, Andros, Naxos and Sifnos, while Corfu and Kefallonia of the Ionian Islands, and Rhodes, Symi, Patmos, Astypalaia, Hydra and Crete also made the list.
The Virtuoso Traveller was another magazine to recognise Greece, ranking the country as one of the top 10 locations for jet-setters, and newspapers also paid tribute, with Greece chosen as one of the best countries to visit in the world in 2015-16 at the Telegraph Travel Awards.
The Express newspaper, on the other hand, singled out Crete and Skopelos of the Sporades Islands in their list of five ‘Best European Short Getaways’, and ranked Corfu and Santorini in the six best Mediterranean cruising destinations.
Greece’s mainland also made it in the destination charts as The Mirror mentioned Kalamata and Messinia in their ‘Top 10 New Hot Destinations of 2016’ and, more recently, Condé Nast Traveller awarded Athens fifth place in their compilation of 17 'Best Places to Travel in 2017’.
As a whole, 2016 was a year in which Greece received immense positive feedback from the international travel press and continued to attract visitors from all corners of the globe.
Of course, all those familiar with Greek waters will know why they make such fantastic cruising grounds. Alongside an enviable yachting infrastructure and safe waters, are truly beautiful coastlines, a unique culture, an ideal climate and a reputation for welcoming hospitality.
Looking forward to 2017, there are already signs that Greece’s popularity will endure over the next 12 months, with major European tour operators revealing that early bookings are already being made. So, now is the time to start planning your summer charter vacation to Greece.
What's more, the Greek Yachting Association is “confident that this year Greece will maintain its position as the prime yachting destination in the Mediterranean”.
2016 was a year in which Greece received immense positive feedback from the international travel press and continued to attract visitors from all corners of the globe
- Brand new ‘go-anywhere' M/Y ‘Planet Nine’ to open for charter in MayAn incredibly powerful world explorer in a class of its own, the brand new 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Planet Nine’ from Adm...
- 6 brand new charter yachts entering the market in 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...
- Sneak preview inside brand new charter yacht O’MATHILDENow only a couple of months from completion, a number of exciting renderings have been published to illustrate the fasc...
- The 5 Largest Charter Yachts Launched In 2017Rounding-up some of the hottest deliveries of the year, we countdown the 5 largest charter yachts which were launched i...
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best new superyachts in 2018.
- Popular Marinas Reopen In The CaribbeanIn yet more good news for the Caribbean, it was revealed today that key marinas in the Virgin Islands and St Martin hav...