With a long and successful maritime history, Greece remains at the heart of southern Europe’s yachting world and, looking back on its popularity and ranking over the past 12 months, it’s easy to spot the country’s ever-growing appeal as a charter destination.
Early in 2016, Condé Nast Traveller magazine selected Greece as one of the top six destinations to visit in May, as well as naming 14 Greek islands as the ideal summer destinations.
Among those singled out were the Cycladic islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Tinos, Andros, Naxos and Sifnos, while Corfu and Kefallonia of the Ionian Islands, and Rhodes, Symi, Patmos, Astypalaia, Hydra and Crete also made the list.
The Virtuoso Traveller was another magazine to recognise Greece, ranking the country as one of the top 10 locations for jet-setters, and newspapers also paid tribute, with Greece chosen as one of the best countries to visit in the world in 2015-16 at the Telegraph Travel Awards.
The Express newspaper, on the other hand, singled out Crete and Skopelos of the Sporades Islands in their list of five ‘Best European Short Getaways’, and ranked Corfu and Santorini in the six best Mediterranean cruising destinations.
Greece’s mainland also made it in the destination charts as The Mirror mentioned Kalamata and Messinia in their ‘Top 10 New Hot Destinations of 2016’ and, more recently, Condé Nast Traveller awarded Athens fifth place in their compilation of 17 'Best Places to Travel in 2017’.
As a whole, 2016 was a year in which Greece received immense positive feedback from the international travel press and continued to attract visitors from all corners of the globe.
Of course, all those familiar with Greek waters will know why they make such fantastic cruising grounds. Alongside an enviable yachting infrastructure and safe waters, are truly beautiful coastlines, a unique culture, an ideal climate and a reputation for welcoming hospitality.
Looking forward to 2017, there are already signs that Greece’s popularity will endure over the next 12 months, with major European tour operators revealing that early bookings are already being made. So, now is the time to start planning your summer charter vacation to Greece.
What's more, the Greek Yachting Association is “confident that this year Greece will maintain its position as the prime yachting destination in the Mediterranean”.
2016 was a year in which Greece received immense positive feedback from the international travel press and continued to attract visitors from all corners of the globe
- First look inside brand new M/Y SOLOPhotos of the 72m/236ft charter yacht SOLO have just been released, giving an exclusive insight into the deck spaces an...
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- Sail and ski in Norway aboard S/Y FIREBIRD The 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD from UK-based Oyster Yachts is offering a unique sailing and skiing charter experie...