The 12th edition of the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta concluded yesterday (June 8), following a five-day programme that saw 20 yachts take to the waters around La Maddalena archipelago, off the coast of northern Sardinia.
Hosted by Yacht Club Costa Smeralda (YCCS) in conjunction with title sponsor Loro Piana, the prestigious Italian regatta finished with an elegant awards ceremony and farewell drinks event at the clubhouse.
The awards shone the spotlight on the 20 competing crews and their respective sailing yachts, which were divided into three categories: Performance, Cruising and Southern Wind-built yachts.
In the Performance division, the Wally-built 30m/100ft sloop ‘Magic Carpet 3’ came out on top, winning all three of her races to give her a perfect score. Catching plenty of eyes with her lime-green hull, the 33m/110ft sailing yacht INOUI earnt a podium second-place finish in the same class, with 30m/100ft ‘Open Season’ taking third.
Perini Navi’s 50m/163ft ketch SILENCIO also notched up a hat trick in her division, making her the overall winner for the Cruising class. The two competing schooners, the 42m/138ft ‘Mariette of 1915’ and Meteor came in second and third place respectively.
We are definitely going to be back next year.
“We are definitely going to be back next year." Said Silencio's owner, Nikita Bourtakov. “I'd like to thank the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda and Loro Piana for creating this amazing platform where people with a shared passion can come and enjoy sailing.”
The Southern Wind trophy was presented to the crew of Grand Ozario. The founder and president of the Cape-Town based shipyard, Willy Persico, passed away last year, and the trophy is dedicated to his memory.
This year was the first to introduce a five-day racing format, instead of the previous four, to account for any races which need to be rescheduled. Fortunately, the 2019 edition only saw a couple of abandonments and postponements due to a lack of wind.
Taking place around the Costa Smeralda region of Sardinia, the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta is the ideal event for those considering a regatta charter.
It also showcases the breathtaking scenery and idyllic sailing conditions that can be enjoyed on an Italy luxury yacht charter; from sun-baked beaches to clear turquoise water.
- In pictures: Inside Abeking & Rasmussen M/Y EXCELLENCEHer award-winning, spaceship-style exteriors have been the subject of much acclaim, but her interiors have been kept cl...
- Where are the brand new yachts of 2019 chartering this winter?Whether you’re looking to ring in the New Year in St Barts or explore the turquoise oasis of the Indian Ocean by yacht,...
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- Seychelles yacht charter special offered by 60m luxury yacht ‘St David’Escape to the Maldives and the Seychelles and enjoy no delivery fees when you charter the 60m/197ft motor yacht ‘St Dav...
- World's largest superyacht REV arrives in Norway for outfittingThe world's largest yacht, the 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has completed her journey to Norway, where she is set to...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.