Key stakeholders in Thailand send word that there has been recent positivity surrounding the development of new marina facilities for luxury yachts in Koh Samui.
Speaking on the potential for a new superyacht marina, Captain Charlie Dwyer (a representative from Asia Pacific Superyachts) commented, “We have terrific news for superyachts considering a journey in to Koh Samui.’ He added that “I’m thrilled to alert owners and captains of new and positive government plans for a new marina and positive changes in Thai regulations in support of welcoming superyachts” in the popular destination of Samui.
New hopes for a marina follow a widespread movement instigated by the Thai government to transform the country’s cruising grounds into a ‘hub’ of superyacht activity.
The most recent development in this move has been the availability of a new charter licence for superyachts in Thailand, with the Norman Foster-designed charter yacht ‘Ocean Emerald’ the first to officially receive the charter licence last month. This followed the announcement in June that Phuket’s Royal Phuket Marina would be expanding to accommodate a growing superyacht industry with a five-year $150 million (five million baht) investment, with new crew legislation expected to follow.
Now attention turns to Samui Island, one of the largest islands in the Gulf of Thailand, renowned for its picturesque landscapes of palm-fringed beaches and dense rainforest. Perhaps most notably, Koh Samai is home to the Angthong Marine Park Archipelago – a favourite diving spots amongst superyachts visiting the area.
According to local news sources, Jula Sukmanop, the General Director of the Harbour Department, revealed plans to build much-anticipated ports at Samui and Krabi in a recent press conference. Speaking at the event, she announced that “The Thai government will now carry out studies and private organizations will then be able to invest in the project and share the government’s plan to encourage yachts and superyachts to come to Thailand.”
More specifically, she outlined - “Plans are afoot to adjust the regulations with regards to facilitating foreign yacht and superyacht owners in a bid to attract them to Thailand. These include changes in the taxations levied and a longer period of time yacht owners will be allowed to stay in Thailand. The government has supported the project with 15 million Baht with the goal to set Thailand as the centre of ASEAN marinas.”
Emphasising the recent message from Director-General, Chula Sookmanop, that “The government is loosening boat regulations to make it easier for yacht and superyacht owners to dock in Thai waters.” The Director has specified that he hopes Thailand can attract yacht owners and charterers “coming from the Mediterranean and Caribbean seas, who want to escape the cold weather there during the winter” whilst reaping the tax benefits of a stay.
For more details on planning a superyacht vacation incorporating a visit to Koh Samui, please get in touch with your preferred charter broker.
Or take the time to browse all luxury yachts for charter in Thailand.
there are positive government plans for a new marina
- First look inside brand new M/Y SOLOPhotos of the 72m/236ft charter yacht SOLO have just been released, giving an exclusive insight into the deck spaces an...
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- Sail and ski in Norway aboard S/Y FIREBIRD The 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD from UK-based Oyster Yachts is offering a unique sailing and skiing charter experie...