While the luxury yachts were no doubt the standout feature for many attendees at the industry-only Mediterranean Yacht Show, many of the superyacht chefs were hard at work in the galleys, preparing gastronomical creations for the popular and extremely competitive contest.
Vitally important to the overall enjoyment of a luxury yacht charter vacation, chef’s competitions provide brokers with valuable insight into the kinds of meals guests can expect when on board the attending superyachts. In this way, the winners demonstrate how their creations set them apart and make their dining experience totally unique.
The theme for the 2017 show, taking place in Greece from 29th April to 2nd May, was raw food dishes using only Greek products, reflecting the rising trend for raw food, as well as how Greek produce and cuisine are flourishing and appreciated across the Mediterranean.
There was also a tablescaping competition taking place alongside the cooking contest and, likewise, the winners were unveiled on the last night of the show. Find out who impressed the judges the most below.
Category A: The Winners
Fending off stiff competition from a number of entrants, Chef Alexandros Makropoulos from the 31m/103ft superyacht SUNCOCO picked up the gold in Category A this year.
There was two runners up in this class, including Chef Antonios Zafeiriou from the 30m/100ft motor yacht 'Project Steel' in second place, and Chef Nikos Pantechis from the 24m/78ft luxury yacht AIMILIA.
What's more, SUNCOCO also won the prize for the tablescaping competition in Category A, with the crew producing a stunning visual display to secure the victory.
Category A Platinum Winners
As hotly contested as the former category, the platinum division of this year’s competition saw Chef Konstantina Divoli aboard the 31m/101ft superyacht MARTINA take home first place.
Lastly, the tablescaping award in this category went to the crew on board the 50m/164ft Perini Navi sailing yacht 'Baracuda Valletta'.
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- 8 top superyachts open for Thanksgiving chartersIf you’re looking to spend Thanksgiving with your loved ones enjoying a yacht charter vacation, then you’re in luck; th...
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- First look inside brand new 85m M/Y O’PTASIABrand new and available to charter in Greece, the 85m/279ft motor yacht O’PTASIA has released some fresh images of the ...