This year marks the 29th edition of the Monaco Yacht Show, and based on intelligence data the event is on course for another successful year as the world’s most prestigious yacht show.
The 2019 fleet comprises 120 superyachts measuring over 78ft (23.7m), and will play host to the largest yacht ever to attend the Monaco Yacht Show; 366ft (111m) motor yacht TIS.
This year also represents the most expensive lineup of superyachts for sale and the youngest fleet of attending yachts.
In light of this, YachtCharterFleet poses the question; How does this year’s fleet compare to previous editions of the Monaco Yacht Show?
This year’s fleet comprises 120 yachts, with motor yachts making up a 110-strong majority. The figures are in line with 2018, which had 121 yachts on the lineup, and 2017, which had 117.
The average length of yachts at this year’s show is 161ft (49m); a small, but significant bump on last year’s 160ft average length. This conforms with an overarching market trend for building bigger yachts. In 2017, the average length of attending yachts was 159ft.
Interestingly, although the difference in average length is minimal, 2019 will be the first year to host two yachts measuring over 328ft (100m). Last year saw zero yachts over 328ft on the lineup, and 2017 saw just one.
This year represents the youngest ever fleet of yachts at the Monaco Yacht Show.
One of the most interesting take-aways from the data concerns the age of the fleet. This year represents the youngest ever fleet of yachts at the Monaco Yacht Show, further cementing the show’s reputation as the world's leading new-build superyacht event.
The average age of attending yachts comes in at 5 years; a huge difference when compared to 2017, when the fleet’s average age was 10.5 years old. The gap was slightly less last year in 2018, when the average age of the yachts on display was 6 years old.
81 yachts will be making their Monaco Yacht Show debuts this year. This is a marginal decline on last year, which 2018 saw 85 debuting yachts, but a jump from 80 debuting yachts in 2017.
Similar trends can be seen in terms of new yachts, which we have defined as yachts delivered earlier in the same year as the show. 2019 is tied with 2018, with 43 new yachts in attendance. The numbers are up from 2017, when there were just 38 new yachts on the lineup.
This year will include 75 yachts for sale. This marks a huge jump from 2018, when there were just 52 yachts for sale.
This year represents a record high for the combined asking price of all the superyachts in attendance. Based on intelligence data, the total asking price in 2019 is $2.5 billion- a huge leap from 2018 and 2017, when the total asking price was $2.1 billion.
In light of this, 2019 represents the most expensive fleet of yachts for sale at the Monaco Yacht Show.
2019 represents the most expensive fleet of yachts for sale at the Monaco Yacht Show.
The average price of the yachts is in line with this figure; this year’s average price is $33.3 million, compared to $28.6 million and $27.4 million in 2018 and 2017 respectively.
The average age of yachts for sale is 8 years, which is a decrease from 2018 and 2017, which once again signals a younger brokerage fleet.
This year will see 45 yachts available for private yacht charters on display at the show. The longest charter yacht is also the largest ever to attend the show; the 366ft (111m) motor yacht TIS.
She will be joined by one of the most recent additions to the charter fleet; Abeking & Rasmussen’s 262ft (80m) motor yacht EXCELLENCE.
All information is accurate to the time of publication.
- Which yacht stars in the TV series 'Succession'?The 279ft (85m) charter yacht SOLANDGE is the yacht in HBO’s Succession. Hitting TV screens in 2019, the season finale ...
- 82m superyacht RoMea to charter in the Maldives this winterVenture to the lesser-explored Maldives this winter and discover a slice of paradise on board the 82m/ 268ft motor yach...
- First look inside brand new charter yacht SOARINGDue to launch later this year from Abeking & Rasmussen, the first renderings of the 68m/ 223ft motor yacht SOARING have...
- 75m Feadship charter yacht ARROW makes a splashThis weekend saw the official launch ceremony and christening of the newest addition to the Feadship fleet; 75m/ 246ft ...
- Superyacht KISMET gets blown up in '6 Underground' movieStarring in the biggest Netflix movie to date, Lurssen’s 95m/ 312ft motor yacht KISMET plays a central role in new Mich...
- Brand new 95m charter yacht O’PARI on track for 2020 delivery Golden Yachts is set to launch the 95m/310ft motor yacht O’PARI next spring, following which she will be available for ...