Vassilios “Bill” Lefakinis, who founded the first ever charter company in Greece, passed away on January 26 aged 86.
Vassilios “Bill” Lefakinis will be remembered by the yachting industry for pioneering yacht charter in the East Mediterranean and opening up the world to the wonders of Greece.
In 1969, he founded Valef Yachts. He saw hidden potential in his country, with its countless islands, secret coves and little beaches only accessible by boat, and helmed a new form of tourism and a new way for visitors to fall in love with Greece.
Since its inception, the business has been family-run and built on the Lefakinis family's shared pride and love for their country.
Many of the key players in the Greek charter industry are former employees of Mr. Lefakinis, and he leaves behind an incredible legacy for the charter sector across Greece.
The self-made millionaire and entrepreneur moved from Athens to study business in America, where he got his first job in sales. After considerable success in the US, he moved back to Greece and booked his first charter on board his yacht Rowena, which he rented out to American singer-songwriter Kenny Rogers.
Word of his warmth, hospitality, and good-natured spirit spread, and soon his client list included the Beatles, Sting, Hugh Hefner, John Denver, Christie Brinkley, Bruce Springsteen, and many more.
The charter company went on to gain considerable publicity, with yachts booked by the company featuring in movies and TV shows, including Bond film ‘For Your Eyes Only’.
Mr. Lefakinis saw hidden potential in his country, with its countless islands, secret coves and little beaches only accessible by boat.
Mr. Lefakinis has been integral in promoting yacht charter in Greece. In 1973 he took over a small yacht owners organization and renamed it the Hellenic Professional Yacht Owners Association, which still exists today. With the help of a legal team, he went on to develop the HYBA contracts which are still used for yacht charter in Greece.
Mr. Lefakinis went on to publish the first nautical magazine in Greece, titled Sea & Yachting, and opened a nautical boutique close in Marina Zeas which sold luxury fashion and accessories created by famous Greek designer Yannis Tseklenis.
Word of his warmth, hospitality, and good-natured spirit spread, and soon his client list included the Beatles, Sting, Hugh Hefner, John Denver and many more.
Together with his wife Kathy, Mr. Lefakinis opened a second office in America, close to Philadelphia. They owned numerous yachts together, including the 44m/ 145ft motor yacht ANGELA, (now sold and renamed GRACE), which was formerly owned by Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier III of Monaco.
In more recent years, his yachts have hosted Kim Kardashian and her family for three episodes of ‘Keeping Up with the Kardashians’.
The company also helped produce the docufilm ‘Guardians of the Aegean’ along with Pierre-Yves Cousteau, son of legendary oceanographer Jacques Cousteau.
Mr. Lefakinis was also committed to philanthropic causes throughout his life. In 1978 he founded PAKOE" (The PanHellenic Ecological Research Foundation), working together with a group of volunteer scientists to analyze and find solutions for ocean pollution. Valef Yachts provided the funding for the yachts and airplanes used in collecting the data.
Mr. Lefakinis is survived by his wife, two daughters Alexandra A. Lefakinis and Kassandra M. Lefakinis, a granddaughter and a grandson expected to be born to soon.
Our thoughts are with his family at this time.
- Which yacht stars in the TV series 'Succession'?The 279ft (85m) charter yacht SOLANDGE is the yacht in HBO’s Succession. Hitting TV screens in 2019, the season finale ...
- 82m superyacht RoMea to charter in the Maldives this winterVenture to the lesser-explored Maldives this winter and discover a slice of paradise on board the 82m/ 268ft motor yach...
- First look inside brand new charter yacht SOARINGDue to launch later this year from Abeking & Rasmussen, the first renderings of the 68m/ 223ft motor yacht SOARING have...
- 75m Feadship charter yacht ARROW makes a splashThis weekend saw the official launch ceremony and christening of the newest addition to the Feadship fleet; 75m/ 246ft ...
- Superyacht KISMET gets blown up in '6 Underground' movieStarring in the biggest Netflix movie to date, Lurssen’s 95m/ 312ft motor yacht KISMET plays a central role in new Mich...
- Brand new 95m charter yacht O’PARI on track for 2020 delivery Golden Yachts is set to launch the 95m/310ft motor yacht O’PARI next spring, following which she will be available for ...