Featuring an innovative X-bow, the hotly-anticipated 88m/290ft megayacht ‘Olivia O’ completed sea trials in Norway earlier this month and is heading to the Mediterranean on her maiden voyage.
After successfully traversing the fjords of Norway during sea trials, the Ulstein Verft-built ‘Olivia O’ has finally been delivered, following much speculation over the unique design of the explorer yacht.
With a distinctive inverted bow, known as an X-bow, she is one of the first superyachts to sport this pioneering development in ship-building. The X-bow offers a host of advantages over traditional bow designs, the most notable being reduced motion on board and a minimised risk of damage to the 88m expedition yacht.
Ergonomically designed to slice through waves rather than slam into them, the X-bow will allow ‘Olivia O’ to sail much more smoothly, even in challenging waters. With reduced drag and fewer struggles navigating rough waters, she will consume less fuel and add increased buoyancy, leading to a much more comfortable cruising experience for her passengers.
Inspired by ancient Viking designs, Ulstein Verft has won two consecutive awards for their ships boasting X-bow designs, suggesting that in the future X-bows will become more commonplace, particularly among luxury yachts.
Ulstein Verft announced the building of ‘Olivia O’ in 2016, marking the shipyard’s first attempt at branching out into superyachts. Renowned for their tough, durable designs, Ulstein was the ideal candidate to build a sturdy luxury expedition yacht capable of navigating unpredictable seas and exploring the far-flung corners of the ocean.
With reduced drag and fewer struggles navigating rough waters, she will consume less fuel and add increased buoyancy, leading to a much more comfortable cruising experience for her passengers.
They undertook the project in collaboration with esteemed designer Espen Oeino, giving ‘Olivia O’ a superior blend of masterful craftsmanship and the finest engineering, with a sleek and sophisticated exterior.
The interiors of the yacht are yet to be released, but they will no doubt exude taste and style. Superyacht 'Olivia O' will host a superb selection of amenities, including a helipad and a 10m pool that will benefit from sunlight thanks to cut-out sections in the deck above.
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- BEST PHOTOS: Monaco Yacht Show 2018YachtCharterFleet has handpicked the best photos from more than 6,000 Instagram posts to help you get straight to the h...
- First look inside brand new 85m M/Y O’PTASIABrand new and available to charter in Greece, the 85m/279ft motor yacht O’PTASIA has released some fresh images of the ...
- Feadship M/Y JOY now available for Caribbean yacht charterMaking her Caribbean debut, the magnificent 70m/230ft motor yacht JOY is now open to enquiries for luxury yacht charter...