The elite of the superyacht world, owners and industry leaders alike gathered for the annual awards, which recognised the finest luxury yachts launched throughout 2017.
From the best refit to the most impressive support vessel, charter yachts were awarded accolades in three of the 18 categories. Here are the charters yachts that impressed this year’s perceptive panel of judges, made up of superyacht owners and a presiding chairman.
There were some excellent entries in the ‘Displacement Motor Yachts Below 500GT – 40m and Above’ category, but the almost unanimous decision from the judges saw Seven Sins from Sanlorenzo be selected as the winner.
Both the owners and judges reported a love for the elegant and sculpted lines of this motor yacht, but her profile is not the only attribute benefiting from the wow factor.
Huge outdoor areas provide a variety of choices for relaxing and dining, while the main deck aft is put to magnificent use with a huge pool. Light filters down through its innovative glass bottom to the inviting beach club below, which opens to the sea on three sides and has a sauna and hammam close at hand.
The judges also admired Seven Sins’ contemporary, light-filled interior. In their opinion, ‘the way in which the Italian yard has packed so many modern and desirable features into a 52-metre package has created one of the best semi-custom vessels of this size in today’s marketplace’.
The 2018 World Superyacht Awards wanted to recognise the growing trend for more adventurous superyacht usage. Yet, at the same time, there is a reluctance to build yachts of a size capable of carrying the equipment needed for such expeditions as it would restrict the entry into many ports and anchorages.
Cue the rise of the support vessel and the corresponding award category. Out of the three nominees, It was the 69m/227ft support vessel ‘Game Changer’ from Damen that made the best impression on the judges after they examined the capabilities each vessel added to their mothership.
According to the judges, ‘the ability of this vessel to provide excellent helicopter landing, support and hangar facilities, as well as the deck space to carry and launch four specialist tenders, three PWCs, four trail bikes and a submarine, in addition to the provision of excellent crew areas and a hospital facility, made her the winner.
In the ‘Refitted Yachts’ category, the 50m/165ft motor yacht BROADWATER from Feadship took home the Neptune trophy. For her 2017 refit, the German yard installed a brand new interior designed by Adam Voorhees, added a sixth stateroom, installed an external gym and spa, and created a beach club in her stern.
The work also included the addition of a dining/living space on her bridge deck aft, as well as the upgrading and modernising of a number of technical aspects. These included the installation of updated navigation and safety systems, and the conversion of all areas to LED lighting.
Additionally, BROADWATER received a full exterior repaint, which transformed her hull colour from white to blue. Guests can also make use of a whole new set of tenders and water toys during their private yacht charters this summer.
The judges were wowed by the extensive list of work carried out in just eight months, and admired both the quality of workmanship and the modern design of the new interior, said to rejuvenate a deserving yacht. They also pointed out the change in hull colour served to hide windows giving the yacht a cleaner and more sophisticated appearance.
The elite of the superyacht world gathered for the annual awards, which recognised the finest luxury yachts launched throughout 2017
- Which yacht stars in the TV series 'Succession'?The 279ft (85m) charter yacht SOLANDGE is the yacht in HBO’s Succession. Hitting TV screens in 2019, the season finale ...
- 82m superyacht RoMea to charter in the Maldives this winterVenture to the lesser-explored Maldives this winter and discover a slice of paradise on board the 82m/ 268ft motor yach...
- First look inside brand new charter yacht SOARINGDue to launch later this year from Abeking & Rasmussen, the first renderings of the 68m/ 223ft motor yacht SOARING have...
- 75m Feadship charter yacht ARROW makes a splashThis weekend saw the official launch ceremony and christening of the newest addition to the Feadship fleet; 75m/ 246ft ...
- Superyacht KISMET gets blown up in '6 Underground' movieStarring in the biggest Netflix movie to date, Lurssen’s 95m/ 312ft motor yacht KISMET plays a central role in new Mich...
- Brand new 95m charter yacht O’PARI on track for 2020 delivery Golden Yachts is set to launch the 95m/310ft motor yacht O’PARI next spring, following which she will be available for ...