A magnificent fleet of sailing yachts has arrived in English Harbour in preparation for the seventh addition of the Superyacht Challenge Antigua, which gets underway on Thursday 2nd February.
The three-day event will see 11 sailing yachts go head-to-head in daily pursuit races along the beautiful south coast of Antigua. Starting off the entrance to English Harbour, the courses will be unveiled on each morning of racing, and will measure between 12 and 30 miles.
Defined by its friendly yet competitive atmosphere, the Superyacht Challenge Antigua is designed purely for the pleasure of superyacht owners, their guests and crew, but there are a number of charter yachts signed up to compete.
One is the 32m/105ft sailing yacht DANNESKJOLD. Delivered in 2009 by New Zealand shipyard Southern Ocean Marina, she will be unmissable cutting through the Antiguan waters, with her low, athletic profile and ice-blue hull.
She has also caught the yacht industry’s eye, picking up two Showboats Design Awards in 2010 for her naval architecture, and design and technology. Set to be a strong contender at this year's Superyacht Challenge, she also boasts a number of features that make her ideal for charter.
Guests will be able to make the most of her fold-down swim platform, get together with friends and family in a sunken cockpit, and retreat into her light, airy and modern interior.
Also on the line-up is the 34m/112ft luxury yacht KAWIL, launched in 2000 by Derecktor Shipyards. Incredibly graceful, she is capable of enduring the toughest conditions and has an abundance of flowing deck on which to bask in the warm Caribbean sunshine once the racing concludes.
Clad in teak joinery, her interior is more classic in style but despite her preference for practicality and simplicity she is still equipped with modern comforts and state-of-the-art equipment.
Despite KAWIL's preference for practicality and simplicity she is still equipped with modern comforts and state-of-the-art equipment
Royal Huisman’s 34m/112ft charter yacht SPIIP is expected to join the challenge too. Engineered for an exceptional sailing performance, she boasts beautiful pure lines, a carbon mast, and self-furling genoa and main sail that furl into the boom.
Much attention to detail has gone into creating her modern and minimalist interior, designed by Andrew Winch. Boasting pale maple, stainless steel accents, crystal, leather and Thassos marble, she makes a perfect host for a private yacht charter.
These three sloops will face still competition from ADELA, ELFJE, NILAYA, ACADIA, ADIX, MARAMA, ‘Wild Horses’ and ‘Zig Zag’, all currently assembled in the historic surroundings of Nelson’s Dockyard.
- First look inside brand new M/Y SOLOPhotos of the 72m/236ft charter yacht SOLO have just been released, giving an exclusive insight into the deck spaces an...
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- Sail and ski in Norway aboard S/Y FIREBIRD The 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD from UK-based Oyster Yachts is offering a unique sailing and skiing charter experie...