It is being reported that the 92m/300ft superyacht EQUANIMITY is being sold to a company with a luxury yacht charter division for $126 million.
Allegedly purchased in 2013 with misallocated funds in the 1Malaysia Development Berhad scandal, EQUANIMITY was put up for sale by the Malaysia High Court last year, in an attempt to retrieve monies.
Today, the Malaysian government has announced that the Oceanco-built megayacht will be sold to Genting Group, a resort company which also owns a shipyard and operates a luxury yacht charter division.
This comes after we reported earlier this week that the superyacht did not meet her fast-track sales deadline of March 31, and the government could have put her on the charter market until she was sold.
In light of Genting Group's charter division, it is still possible that the megayacht could become available for private yacht charter vacations. She would be the fifth largest yacht in the world publicly available for charter, and would have the capacity to host up to 22 guests, as she is PYC-compliant.
The superyacht was seized off the coast of Bali last February, at the request of US authorities who believed the yacht was purchased with stolen monies.
She was put up for sale in October 2018 by the Government of Malaysia, and was expected to be sold for at least $130 million, but failed to do so by a March 31 fast-track sales deadline.
The Government of Malaysia reported that several offers had been made before Genting Group offered the highest price. It was a direct sale between the government and Genting.
This sale marks the highest recovery of funds in the 1MDB scandal to date.
Delivered in 2014, EQUANIMITY is the largest expedition yacht in the world, and boasts an ice-class hull and an incredible selection of amenities. Among them, guests could enjoy a 20 square metre pool and Asian-inspired interiors.
- In pictures: Inside Abeking & Rasmussen M/Y EXCELLENCEHer award-winning, spaceship-style exteriors have been the subject of much acclaim, but her interiors have been kept cl...
- Where are the brand new yachts of 2019 chartering this winter?Whether you’re looking to ring in the New Year in St Barts or explore the turquoise oasis of the Indian Ocean by yacht,...
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- Seychelles yacht charter special offered by 60m luxury yacht ‘St David’Escape to the Maldives and the Seychelles and enjoy no delivery fees when you charter the 60m/197ft motor yacht ‘St Dav...
- World's largest superyacht REV arrives in Norway for outfittingThe world's largest yacht, the 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has completed her journey to Norway, where she is set to...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.