Undertaking talks with the Cuban government, Mr Hammond hopes to connect with the country as it makes its way onto the world stage following years of isolation. Indeed, British companies are eager to secure contracts with the tourist, mining and agricultural sectors.
President Barack Obama also made a historic trip to Cuba last month, after decades of hostility between the United States and the island nation.
These revived relations are sure to increase demand among tourists hoping to visit Castro’s Cuba before it becomes affected by development and commercialisation. This includes superyacht charterers keen to explore the undiscovered cruising grounds of the island.
Since the trade embargo was lifted by America in December 2014, there has been an influx of British tourists to the country where classic 1950s American cars crisscross city streets, horse and carts clatter through the countryside, and where billboards and fast food chains are yet to take hold.
A luxury yacht charter in Cuba can encompass coastlines of secluded beaches, azure waters rich in marine life, charming countryside towns and vibrant cities bursting with a unique mix of colonial Spanish architecture, Latin vibes and Caribbean rhythms.
There is also the stunning 200-mile long Jardines del Rey archipelago, offering idyllic beaches, breath-taking natural beauty and spectacular wildlife.
- World’s largest explorer yacht REV hits the waterThe 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has hit the water for the first time at the VARD shipyard in Romania.
- 86m S/Y AQUIJO now available to charter in remote South Atlantic islandsThe 86m/282ft sailing yacht AQUIJO is available to charter in the South Atlantic islands of Ascension Island, Tristan d...
- Sneak peak: Inside 136m ‘Flying Fox’, the world’s largest superyacht for charterDelivered earlier this year, the 136m/446ft motor yacht ‘Flying Fox’ made plenty of waves when she joined the internati...
- Video: 140m megayacht 'Project Lightning' on sea trialsLurssen’s 140m/459ft motor yacht ‘Project Lightning’ has been captured embarking on sea trials.
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.