The largest yacht competing, NIKATA was also among the first to cross the finish line at the annual regatta, taking around 48 hours to complete the race. Built by Baltic Yachts in 2015, she was followed in the Superyacht Class by the 29m/96ft luxury yacht SORCERESS from Southern Wind.
But the big winner of the regatta was the Volvo 70 WIZARD, which was awarded the RORC Caribbean 600 Trophy for the best corrected time under IRC. Putting in a near faultless performance, the yacht completed the race in 43 hours 38 minutes and 44 seconds.
Other winners included the MASERATI Multi 70, which won her class while setting a new multihull race record, while the overall MOCRA Class winner was the Gunboat 62 ‘Chim Chim’ and, after some stiff competition, it was the EARENDIL who triumphed in the Class40 Division.
The 11th edition of the RORC Caribbean 600 attracted 76 teams from 21 countries and crews from six continents. The highly diverse fleet was challenged by tough conditions, but with the bonus of being able to take in the stunning scenery of the Caribbean islands the route passes.
RORC CEO Eddie Warden Owen said: “All the classes had amazing competition and many finished the race just minutes apart, especially in the battle between Maserati and Argo, and the Class 40s.
“There were a lot of new boats and faces at this edition and the quality of the fleet and sailors continue to impress every year. The weather served up classic trade wind conditions which make the race a challenge, but also a fast and exciting one.”
The largest yacht competing, NIKATA was also among the first to cross the finish line at the annual regatta
- World’s largest explorer yacht REV hits the waterThe 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has hit the water for the first time at the VARD shipyard in Romania.
- 86m S/Y AQUIJO now available to charter in remote South Atlantic islandsThe 86m/282ft sailing yacht AQUIJO is available to charter in the South Atlantic islands of Ascension Island, Tristan d...
- Sneak peak: Inside 136m ‘Flying Fox’, the world’s largest superyacht for charterDelivered earlier this year, the 136m/446ft motor yacht ‘Flying Fox’ made plenty of waves when she joined the internati...
- Video: 140m megayacht 'Project Lightning' on sea trialsLurssen’s 140m/459ft motor yacht ‘Project Lightning’ has been captured embarking on sea trials.
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.