Racing will begin in Bermuda’s Great Sound at 5pm on Friday 26th May with Oracle Team USA taking on Groupama Team France in the America’s Cup Qualifiers.
The start of the 2017 America’s Cup follows a nail-biting two years of qualifying races. Known as the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series, the two-year-long racing circuit was a chance for the six competing teams to put points on the board before the final stage of the event kicks off in Bermuda.
In the qualifiers, which run until 3rd June, each competitor races every other competitor twice, scoring one point per win. The top four challengers advance to the challenger playoffs and the winner will go on to face the defender, Oracle Team USA, in the final cup match.
The America’s Cup Match is scheduled to take place on 17th, 18th, 24th and 25th June, and could see Artemis Racing of Sweden, Emirates Team New Zealand, Groupama Team France, the UK’s Land Rover BAR or SoftBank Team Japan take on Jimmy Spithill and his USA side.
Full details have also now been released on the line-up for the official opening ceremony, which will take place on 26th May from 8.30pm on the main stage in the America’s Cup Village in Bermuda’s Royal Naval Dockyard.
In the ceremony, Bermudian musician Gene Steede will be joined by the band of the Royal Bermuda Regiment, H&H Gombeys and Gombey Evolution, Live Wires and the cast of Proud to be Bermudian. These acts combine to mark the opening ceremony as a truly Bermudian celebration.
What follows is a month-long celebration of racing where the best sailors on the fastest boats will battle for the oldest trophy in international sport and spectators can take in the action from the sidelines as part of a private yacht charter.
The America’s Cup Superyacht Regatta, as well as the America’s Cup J Class Regatta, will also form part of the spectacle.
What follows is a month-long celebration of racing where the best sailors on the fastest boats will battle for the oldest trophy in international sport
- World’s largest explorer yacht REV hits the waterThe 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has hit the water for the first time at the VARD shipyard in Romania.
- 86m S/Y AQUIJO now available to charter in remote South Atlantic islandsThe 86m/282ft sailing yacht AQUIJO is available to charter in the South Atlantic islands of Ascension Island, Tristan d...
- Sneak peak: Inside 136m ‘Flying Fox’, the world’s largest superyacht for charterDelivered earlier this year, the 136m/446ft motor yacht ‘Flying Fox’ made plenty of waves when she joined the internati...
- Video: 140m megayacht 'Project Lightning' on sea trialsLurssen’s 140m/459ft motor yacht ‘Project Lightning’ has been captured embarking on sea trials.
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.