There’s a buzz in the air along the Cote d’Azur, as the city of Cannes prepares to host cascades of Hollywood’s elite for the most iconic event on the film calendar.
Running between 14-25 May, the 72nd edition of the Cannes Film Festival will encompass 11 days of film premieres, awards ceremonies and prestigious parties featuring wall-to-wall famous faces.
Heading up the jury this year is Alejandro González Iñárritu, the Oscar-winning Mexican director who has put his name to titles including Birdman, the Revenant and Babel. He follows in the footsteps of last year’s jury leader Cate Blanchett.
With the poster unfurled above the Palais des Festivals and the red carpet getting ready to roll out, superyachts are beginning to move into position for the event.
Attracting scores of private yacht charters each year, the festival is the ultimate setting for a luxury yacht. Not only does it provide a base and accommodation, it’s also ideal for undertaking corporate or event charters.
Those berthed at Vieux Port are situated just a stones’ throw from the Palais des Festivals venue, putting them right at the heart of the celebrity parties and networking opportunities.
Among the yachts berthed here, the Benetti-built 64m/208ft luxury yacht ‘Lioness V’ is lined up along jetee Albert Edouard, with her guests no doubt enjoying her elevated pool and innovate winter-garden style social area.
She is rubbing shoulders with Heesen’s 51m/168ft motor yacht MYSKY, a modern and dynamic superyacht with plenty of state-of-the-art features to offer her charter guests. Alongside her, the 59m/194ft charter yacht VICKY is also getting ready to soak up the red carpet action.
With the Mediterranean superyacht season starting to heat up, there are plenty of other yachts to be spotted in the surrounding area. A host of charter yachts are also berthed in Port Pierre Canto, which sits on the other side of the bay, connected to Vieux Port by the famous Boulevard de Croisette stretch.
Out at anchor off the coast of Cannes, the 107m/352ft megayacht ANDROMEDA is sure to be turning heads thanks to her sheer size alone. Meanwhile, tucked around the corner near the Cap d’Antibes, the 162m/533ft gigayacht ECLIPSE is enjoying her tranquil surrounds of Golfe Juan. ECLIPSE is the second largest yacht in the world and is well-known for belonging to Russian-Israeli billionaire Roman Abramovich.
Whether it’s the shiny superyachts gleaming under the Mediterranean sun or the flashing lights of the paparazzi swarming the red carpet, the 2020 Cannes Film Festival is set to dazzle this year.
- In pictures: Inside Abeking & Rasmussen M/Y EXCELLENCEHer award-winning, spaceship-style exteriors have been the subject of much acclaim, but her interiors have been kept cl...
- Where are the brand new yachts of 2019 chartering this winter?Whether you’re looking to ring in the New Year in St Barts or explore the turquoise oasis of the Indian Ocean by yacht,...
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- Seychelles yacht charter special offered by 60m luxury yacht ‘St David’Escape to the Maldives and the Seychelles and enjoy no delivery fees when you charter the 60m/197ft motor yacht ‘St Dav...
- World's largest superyacht REV arrives in Norway for outfittingThe world's largest yacht, the 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has completed her journey to Norway, where she is set to...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.