Participating superyachts, of which more than half are available for charter, have been arriving at the regatta village at Muelle Viejo over the past seven days as anticipation for the 21st edition of the much-loved Superyacht Cup Palma reaches its climax.
Organised by international race officers and the team at Real Club Nautico de Palma, the Superyacht Cup is one of the longest running regattas in Europe, with the Bay of Palma offering some of the most idyllic sailing conditions in the Mediterranean.
After a captains’ briefing late this afternoon, there will be a welcome cocktail party celebrating the 75th anniversary of Astilleros de Mallorca, a refit and repair centre for yacht restoration based in the island’s capital.
This will be followed by three days of racing and a varied programme of entertainment, including daily race awards, a final prize-giving ceremony, a SYC dock party, a paddle boarding competition and an invitation-only midsummer barbecue.
Out of the 10 competing yachts, six are on the charter market, including the 46m/151ft sailing yacht ‘Windrose of Amersterdam’ from Holland Jachtbouw and a fellow build from the Dutch yard, the 42m/137ft charter yacht ‘This Is Us’.
Two offerings from Claasen Shipyards, another Dutch boat builder, will likewise be doing battle. These are the 39m/127ft charter yacht ATALANTE and the 27m/89ft charter yacht ‘Atalante I’, which returns after finishing second in the cup’s 2012 and 2013 editions.
Out of the 10 competing yachts, six are on the charter market, including the 46m/151ft sailing yacht ‘Windrose of Amersterdam
Also getting ready to race is the 32m/105ft charter yacht BOLERO from Bolero Yachts and Southern Wind’s 32m/104ft charter yacht FARFALLA, which got in some practice at the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta in Sardinia earlier this month.
These all face stiff competition, however, with last year’s overall winner sailing yacht ‘Win Win’ aiming to retain her title and sailing yacht SAUDADE hoping to repeat her fine form which saw her take home the Loro Piana Superyacht title for the third consecutive year a few weeks ago.
Events such as the Superyacht Cup Palma offer charterers the opportunity to join in the racing as part of a regatta charter or to take in the action from the sidelines as part of an extended private yacht charter to the Balearic Islands.
- First look inside brand new M/Y SOLOPhotos of the 72m/236ft charter yacht SOLO have just been released, giving an exclusive insight into the deck spaces an...
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- 8 top superyachts open for Thanksgiving chartersIf you’re looking to spend Thanksgiving with your loved ones enjoying a yacht charter vacation, then you’re in luck; th...
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...