Forecasts indicate winds may gust over 30 knots during the afternoon and evening, so with the safety of sailors and spectators as the key priority, the America’s Cup Event Authority (ACEA) and the America’s Cup Race Management (ACRM) have decided to postpone the event by one day.
Saturday 27th May and the days following are all forecast to have significantly improved weather conditions, so the four races planned to take place today (Friday 26th May) will be added to the weekend’s race schedule.
Likewise, the official opening ceremony will now take place on Saturday. Starting at 8.30pm, it will follow a performance from musician Wyclef Jean on the main stage in the America’s Cup Village at 5.15pm.
Despite the bad weather, excitement is building for the eagerly anticipated 2017 edition of the America’s Cup. For one month, all eyes will turn to Bermuda’s Great Sound where the best sailors on the fastest boats will battle it out for the oldest trophy in international sport.
The schedule change means qualifiers will now get underway on 27th May, with the top challenger set to meet defending champions ORACLE TEAM USA in the final cup match on 17th June.
Competing teams include Artemis Racing of Sweden, Emirates Team New Zealand, Groupama Team France, GB’s Land Rover BAR and SoftBank Team Japan.
Crowds of spectators will descend on the island-chain to take in the racing, with the best seats in the house reserved for those taking in the action aboard a superyacht. A fine fleet of charter yachts will be there too, presenting a unique charter experience for lucky guests on board.
Among the charter yachts expected to be in Bermuda are the iconic 88m/288ft sailing yacht ‘Maltese Falcon’ from Perini Navi, Picchiotti’s 73m/239ft motor yacht ‘Grace E’ and the 55m/180ft Vitters sailing yacht MARIE.
Qualifiers will now get underway on 27th May, with the top challenger set to meet defending champions ORACLE TEAM USA in the final cup match
- FLYING FOX - World's largest charter yacht revealedIt has been announced that the brand new Lurssen Superyacht FLYING FOX will join the Charter Fleet.
- Tahiti yacht charters available at a reduced price with 60m M/Y DREAMCruise around Tahiti and the rest of French Polynesia at a discounted rate on board the 60m/197ft multi-award-winning m...
- The best brand-new superyachts for charter in 2019Be among the first to step on board a brand new superyacht with our round-up of the best recently-delivered yachts avai...
- M/Y ‘Christina O’ available to charter at a reduced rate in the MediterraneanExplore Mediterranean hotspots such as the South of France and the Italian Riviera at a reduced rate on board one of th...
- VIDEO: Feadship transports 93m charter yacht ‘Lady S’ In a recent video, Feadship gives viewers a behind-the-scenes glimpse into how they moved their 93m/ 305ft megayacht ‘L...
- Discover Belize with Westport M/Y TRENDINGEnjoy a Belize luxury yacht charter this June on board the 50m/165ft superyacht TRENDING from Westport.