Progress has been made with legislation to ease the barriers against luxury superyachts cruising to California by a group of yachting businessmen. Known as Assembly Bill 2005, it has been championed by Assemblyman Martin Garrick.
As current laws stand, any non-commercial yachts larger than 300 tons have to meet burdensome and expensive regulations before they can enter Californian waters. Assembly Bill 2005 keeps this requirement in palce, but will give luxury yachts an expanded timeframe to comply.
Todd Roberts, vice president of Marine Group Boat Works, has made numerous trips to hearings over the past couple of months to stress the importance of this bill for San Diego’s economy and the positive effect visiting superyachts will have on it.
Assembly Bill 2005 was signed on September 26 2012 by Governor Brown. The increased tourism is excellent news for the state of California in its entirety, but it is also especially good for superyachts that take this route for the America’s Cup and are looking for new cruising destinations.
The increased tourism is excellent news for the state of California in its entirety, but it is also especially good for superyachts that take this route for the America’s Cup and are looking for new cruising destinations.
- World’s largest explorer yacht REV hits the waterThe 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has hit the water for the first time at the VARD shipyard in Romania.
- 86m S/Y AQUIJO now available to charter in remote South Atlantic islandsThe 86m/282ft sailing yacht AQUIJO is available to charter in the South Atlantic islands of Ascension Island, Tristan d...
- Sneak peak: Inside 136m ‘Flying Fox’, the world’s largest superyacht for charterDelivered earlier this year, the 136m/446ft motor yacht ‘Flying Fox’ made plenty of waves when she joined the internati...
- Video: 140m megayacht 'Project Lightning' on sea trialsLurssen’s 140m/459ft motor yacht ‘Project Lightning’ has been captured embarking on sea trials.
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.