The change of location follows much consideration and inspection of various ports by MYBA – the Worldwide Yachting Associaition – who eventually comprised a shortlist of Nice, Genoa and Barcelona, with the MYBA board revealing the Spanish city as the new host yesterday.
One of the deciding factors in the choice of new location was that OneOcean Port Vell is capable of berthing 68 yachts ranging from 22m to 190m. This means the show can now welcome more charter yachts of a longer length.
Indeed, the 2017 event will be held across OneOcean Port Vell’s four quays - Spanish Quay, Barceloneta Quay, Deposit Quay and Sota Muralla Quay – and will make use of the marina’s entire 930 linear metres of quay to house exhibitor tents.
President of MYBA, Fiona Maureso, said: “We would like to take this opportunity to thank Pesto Sea Group and the city of Genoa for having hosted the MYBA Charter Show so successfully over the past 16 years. We are naturally very excited about this opportunity to discover OOPV and the city of Barcelona but we will, of course, miss our friends in Italy.”
Accessibility and availability of suitable accommodation also played a significant part in the final decision, with Barcelona’s International Airport just a 25-minute drive away from the marina and operating direct flights daily from 182 destinations.
One of the deciding factors in the choice of new location was that OneOcean Port Vell is capable of berthing 68 superyachts ranging from 22m to 190m
What’s more, Chair of MYBA Charter Shows Panel, James Graham-Cloete, hopes bringing the show to Barcelona will further speed up and enhance any progress in opening up the charter market and corresponding regulations in the region’s beautiful cruising grounds.
YachtCharterFleet will keep site users updated with news on the event as it breaks, but for further information on planning a luxury charter vacation to Spanish waters, please get in touch with your preferred charter broker.
- World’s largest explorer yacht REV hits the waterThe 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has hit the water for the first time at the VARD shipyard in Romania.
- 86m S/Y AQUIJO now available to charter in remote South Atlantic islandsThe 86m/282ft sailing yacht AQUIJO is available to charter in the South Atlantic islands of Ascension Island, Tristan d...
- Sneak peak: Inside 136m ‘Flying Fox’, the world’s largest superyacht for charterDelivered earlier this year, the 136m/446ft motor yacht ‘Flying Fox’ made plenty of waves when she joined the internati...
- Video: 140m megayacht 'Project Lightning' on sea trialsLurssen’s 140m/459ft motor yacht ‘Project Lightning’ has been captured embarking on sea trials.
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.