Set against the iconic backdrop of New York’s iconic harbour and landmarks, the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series will feature some of the world’s best sailors, racing high speed boats in a fast-paced, adrenaline-fuelled competition.
The centre of the race facilities will be Battery Park City and the Brookfield Place Waterfront Plaza. All races will finish off the plaza, which will be home to one central village.
Thousands of spectators are expected to watch the racing either from land along the pier or from the hundreds of spectator yachts that gather in waters near the race course.
Six teams will be sailing on behalf of their home country and vying for points that count towards the final competition for the 35th America’s Cup, taking place next year in Bermuda. Competitors include Emirates Team New Zealand, Land Rover BAR for Great Britain, Artemis Racing for Sweden, SoftBank Team Japan and Groupama Team France.
Six teams will be sailing on behalf of their home country and vying for points that count towards the final competition for the 35th America’s Cup in Bermuda in 2017
One of six events taking place in 2016, the series is raced in the AC45F class – a one-design catamaran powered by a wind sail and sailed by a crew of five. Boats are capable of reaching speeds near 40 miles per hour.
The first event of 2016 was held in Muscat, Oman, with meets in Chicago, USA, and Portsmouth, UK, coming up in June and July respectively. The final two locations are yet to be revealed.
For more information on planning a yacht charter to the event, speak to your preferred charter broker.
- World’s largest explorer yacht REV hits the waterThe 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has hit the water for the first time at the VARD shipyard in Romania.
- 86m S/Y AQUIJO now available to charter in remote South Atlantic islandsThe 86m/282ft sailing yacht AQUIJO is available to charter in the South Atlantic islands of Ascension Island, Tristan d...
- Sneak peak: Inside 136m ‘Flying Fox’, the world’s largest superyacht for charterDelivered earlier this year, the 136m/446ft motor yacht ‘Flying Fox’ made plenty of waves when she joined the internati...
- Video: 140m megayacht 'Project Lightning' on sea trialsLurssen’s 140m/459ft motor yacht ‘Project Lightning’ has been captured embarking on sea trials.
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.