Despite a windless last day in Porto Cervo on the island of Sardinia, the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta finished in style and the event was a resounding success.
The final day of sailing was all set to include an exciting timetable of races, with everything to play for in the different categories. At the top of Class A, superyachts Saudade and Ganesha were tied for first place, while Perini Navi Clan VIII and Vitters ketch Marie were tied for third.
The winners of Class B was already determined, with Pier Luigi Loro Piana's yacht My Song being victorious and likewise with Class C, the top accolade going to Massimiliano Florio's Southern Wind, Grande Orazio. The third place in Class C however was also up for grabs as Blues and Gaia were on equal points with Cape Arrow just a point behind.
Disappointingly however, officials had to abandon the races and call all the yachts back in as it was clear the wind was not going to pick up enough for the contests to be fair and successful.
This meant that Saudade would be the victors of Class A on countback over Ganesha. The owner of Saudade said, 'We were very aggressive sailing against Ganesha because we were even and we wanted to beat her. The win means a lot for me because we tried to win so often. We’ve won one or two races before but not the whole regatta, so this is the first time and we are very, very happy!'
Third place in Class A ended up going to Clan VIII, just ahead of Marie and Blues took third place in Class C as a result of the weather.
My Song won Class B, winning all three races over the course of the week. 'This week has been particularly tough because WinWin was such a competitive yacht, probably faster than us especially approaching the finish line,' said America’s Cup veteran Tommasso Chieffi who was calling tactics on board. 'A couple of times we really had to work hard to keep them at bay, so we’re all very pleased and the feelings are all very good. It wasn’t a walk in the park, but that makes this victory so much more special.'
The social side of the occasion was also a success, with the official prize-giving ceremony and the Loro Piana Owner's Dinner event. 'A special thanks must go to the Yacht Club,' said Pier Luigi Loro Piana, deputy chairman of Loro Piana. 'They put on a wonderful show but I know how much work there is behind the scenes in creating an event like this. As a sponsor I am really proud of supporting an event like this and superyacht racing. The quality of the boats was very high this year and the racing was super.'
Official results were as follows:
The Loro Piana Prize, the Silver Jubilee Cup by Boat International Media - Saudade
Class A Results
3. Clan VIII
Class B Results
1. My Song
Class C Results
1. Grande Orazio
Embraer Executive Jets Race Day Trophies
Class A: Saudade
Class B: My Song
Class C: Grande Orazio
YCCS Trophy for highest placed YCCS member - My Song
International Maxi Association member trophy - Grande Orazio
View all crewed luxury yachts for charter in Sardinia.
The quality of the boats was very high this year and the racing was super
- Heesen M/Y ASYA Joins Mediterranean Charter FleetThe 47m/153ft superyacht ASYA has now joined the global charter fleet, and will be available in Mediterranean hotspots ...
- 5 Top Superyachts Available To Charter At America’s CupTaking place this June, the hotly anticipated America’s Cup is no doubt best enjoyed on board one of the outstanding mo...
- 10 of the Best Motor Yachts Available For Charter in 2017With so many outstanding options on offer for 2017, we take a look at 10 of the best motor yachts to consider for your ...
- Charter Yachts Win At World Superyacht Awards 2017At this year’s World Superyacht Awards, held on 13th May at the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, a fine selection of charte...
- M/Y TITANIA Heads to Ibiza for Summer ChartersThe impressive 73m/239ft motor yacht TITANIA is available for charter in Balearics hotspots such as Ibiza and Mallorca ...
- World's Largest Superyacht REV Available To CharterSet to become the world's largest superyacht in terms of both length and gross tonnage (GT), the 182m/596ft motor yacht...