Despite a windless last day in Porto Cervo on the island of Sardinia, the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta finished in style and the event was a resounding success.
The final day of sailing was all set to include an exciting timetable of races, with everything to play for in the different categories. At the top of Class A, superyachts Saudade and Ganesha were tied for first place, while Perini Navi Clan VIII and Vitters ketch Marie were tied for third.
The winners of Class B was already determined, with Pier Luigi Loro Piana's yacht My Song being victorious and likewise with Class C, the top accolade going to Massimiliano Florio's Southern Wind, Grande Orazio. The third place in Class C however was also up for grabs as Blues and Gaia were on equal points with Cape Arrow just a point behind.
Disappointingly however, officials had to abandon the races and call all the yachts back in as it was clear the wind was not going to pick up enough for the contests to be fair and successful.
This meant that Saudade would be the victors of Class A on countback over Ganesha. The owner of Saudade said, 'We were very aggressive sailing against Ganesha because we were even and we wanted to beat her. The win means a lot for me because we tried to win so often. We’ve won one or two races before but not the whole regatta, so this is the first time and we are very, very happy!'
Third place in Class A ended up going to Clan VIII, just ahead of Marie and Blues took third place in Class C as a result of the weather.
My Song won Class B, winning all three races over the course of the week. 'This week has been particularly tough because WinWin was such a competitive yacht, probably faster than us especially approaching the finish line,' said America’s Cup veteran Tommasso Chieffi who was calling tactics on board. 'A couple of times we really had to work hard to keep them at bay, so we’re all very pleased and the feelings are all very good. It wasn’t a walk in the park, but that makes this victory so much more special.'
The social side of the occasion was also a success, with the official prize-giving ceremony and the Loro Piana Owner's Dinner event. 'A special thanks must go to the Yacht Club,' said Pier Luigi Loro Piana, deputy chairman of Loro Piana. 'They put on a wonderful show but I know how much work there is behind the scenes in creating an event like this. As a sponsor I am really proud of supporting an event like this and superyacht racing. The quality of the boats was very high this year and the racing was super.'
Official results were as follows:
The Loro Piana Prize, the Silver Jubilee Cup by Boat International Media - Saudade
Class A Results
3. Clan VIII
Class B Results
1. My Song
Class C Results
1. Grande Orazio
Embraer Executive Jets Race Day Trophies
Class A: Saudade
Class B: My Song
Class C: Grande Orazio
YCCS Trophy for highest placed YCCS member - My Song
International Maxi Association member trophy - Grande Orazio
View all crewed luxury yachts for charter in Sardinia.
The quality of the boats was very high this year and the racing was super
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.
- Monaco Yacht Show 2019 announces superyacht line-upRunning between 25 - 28 September, Monaco’s Port Hercules marina will be alive with activity as a stellar fleet of yach...
- Sneak peak: Inside 136m ‘Flying Fox’, the world’s largest superyacht for charterDelivered earlier this year, the 136m/446ft motor yacht ‘Flying Fox’ made plenty of waves when she joined the internati...
- VIDEO: Superyacht ‘Here Comes the Sun’ in the British Virgin Islands Amels’ 83m/272ft superyacht ‘Here Comes the Sun’ was spotted enjoying some tropical sun in the British Virgin Islands e...
- Megayacht TRANQUILITY joins the yacht charter fleetFormerly known as superyacht EQUANIMITY, the 92m/300ft motor yacht TRANQUILITY has become available for private yacht c...
- VIDEO: Superyacht ‘Lady S’ enjoys the waters of PortofinoIn a brand new video, drone footage gives us a closer look at one of the most exciting recent additions to the charter ...