Wednesday the 7th May saw the closing of the first ever Mediterranean Yacht Show and as the exhibition tents were dismantled and the yachts prepared for departure, the feeling in the port was that of success for both the show and the Greek charter industry as a whole.
Following the news of the newly formed Greek Yachting Association (GYA) late last year and the announcement of a brand new charter yacht show in Greece, expectations were high in the lead up to the event which kicked off on the 3rd May. The show did not disappoint and from the outset there was a strong feeling of positivity towards the fantastic selection of quality superyachts that lined the port of Nafplion as well as the professionalism that went into the organisation of the show overall.
As media partners for the show, the Yacht Charter Fleet team were out in force every day, visiting each of the spectacular charter yachts, meeting the crews and interviewing some of the key players in the Greek yachting industry. We spoke to a number of the founding members of the (GYA) including Aris Drivas of Aris Drivas Yachting who after more than 40 years gave us a fascinating overview of Greece as a yachting destination and the importance of every aspect of a charter vacation, from the type of yacht to the crew.
He also noted that there has already been a 10% increase on charter bookings in Greece compared to last year and that the locals in Greece are noticeably starting to embrace the yachting industry as they can see the positive effects that it has on tourism and the economy in general. We also sat down with Stefanos Macrymichalos of Cape 4 Yachting and Galanikis of Athens Yachts who, amongst other things, each gave us their ideas behind the Mediterranean Yacht Show from an organiser’s point of view.
Managing Director of Big Blue Yachting, George Pappas was an unrivalled source of expert information on what Greece has to offer as a charter destination and the development of the Greek Riviera. In fact we were overwhelmed with recommendations of where to go and what to do in Greece from Captains and charter industry professionals and will be presenting a range of sample itineraries and destination guides from those in the know over the coming weeks.
With such an impressive line-up of charter yachts confirmed for the show’s debut, there were several that stood out for a variety of reasons. Now under new ownership, the renamed BARENTS SEA (ex. PANTHER II) deserves a special mention for her fabulous refit and exceptional crew to include her French-trained Chef who provided us with a delicious taster lunch. On stepping aboard superyacht DRAGON, it immediately became clear why she holds such an excellent reputation amongst her stunning interior and wide impressive fleet of toys.
The host town of Nafplion was in itself a huge success and noted by all for its idyllic setting, local hospitality and beautiful architecture. We were also lucky enough to take a post-event trip to the stunning island of Spetses on board the 30m luxury charter yacht MY WAY who along with her experienced Captain and crew, treated us to a night on board in style and spectacular surroundings.
Overall, the 2014 Mediterranean Yacht Show was met with high acclaim from visitors and charter professionals from around the world. The quality of the yachts on display combined with the beauty of Nafplion represented the positivity within the market as well as what Greece has to offer as a charter destination. It is sure to become an important fixture on the annual yachting calendar and we look forward to being a part of the event in years to come.
See all yachts for charter in Greece.
As media partners for the show, the Yacht Charter Fleet team were out in force every day, visiting each of the spectacular charter yachts, meeting the crews and interviewing some of the key players in the Greek yachting industry.
- Brand new ‘go-anywhere' M/Y ‘Planet Nine’ to open for charterAn incredibly powerful world explorer in a class of its own, the brand new 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Planet Nine’ from Adm...
- 6 brand new charter yachts entering the market in 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...
- The 5 Largest Charter Yachts Launched In 2017Rounding-up some of the hottest deliveries of the year, we countdown the 5 largest charter yachts which were launched i...
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best new superyachts in 2018.
- Blue Planet TV series superyacht ALUCIA now available to charterCausing a sensation when she appeared on the second season of the hit BBC series Blue Planet in winter, the 56m/183ft e...
- Inside Below Deck Mediterranean Season 3 M/Y ‘Talisman Maiton’Premiering on Bravo TV on 15th May, Below Deck Mediterranean Season 3 will see Captain Sandy Yawn and a cast of familia...