Built in the 15th century, the Rector's Palace was the official residence of Dubrovnik's ruler and centre of government for over 350 years, and is today one of the city's most imposing museums
Constructed in the Gothic Renaissance style in the first half of the 15th century by the Neapolitan architect Onofrio della Cava, the Rector's Palace was the seat of government of the Republic of Ragusa, which stretched along the southern Dalmatian coast of modern-day Croatia, and the residence of its elected ruler, the Rector.
The building, which also housed an armoury, powder magazine and prison, was badly damaged by gunpowder explosions and earthquakes over the centuries, and was restored and rebuilt in different styles, with baroque additions in the 17th century.
The Republic of Ragusa was annexed by the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy in 1808, and the Rector's Palace became a museum. Today it is also used a concert venue during the Dubrovnik Summer Festival.
Today it is also used a concert venue during the Dubrovnik Summer Festival.
Since 1872, the Rector's Palace has housed a museum, which is today known as the Cultural History Museum, and houses displays of paintings, furniture, ceramics, weaponry and coins. A variety of themed exhibitions are also held throughout the year.
Rooms in the palace have been restored to their 18th century appearance, with elaborate period furnishings and portraits adorning the Rector's private chambers, study and state offices. The former courtroom, prison and chapel have also been carefully reconstructed, offering an intriguing glimpse into the later years of the Republic of Ragusa.
Alternatively, take a look at all luxury yachts for charter in the East Mediterranean.
The Rector's Palace
Ul. Pred Dvorom 3,
Show Phone Number+385 20 321 422