Visit Croatia by superyacht to see the Game of Thrones set locations
People have said that Shakespeare’s tragedies and his penchant for killing off major characters have been the precursor to the hit television series Game of Thrones. One thing Shakespeare did not benefit from was sets of gargantuan proportions, not least UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the heart of Croatia.
Series 3 of the HBO show has just come to another dramatic conclusion and for fans who wish to delve a bit deeper and see some of the spectacular locations used in the filming, now can do so by visiting Croatia and taking advantage of some of the many tours now available.
The country is having to prepare annually for the veritable flood of Game of Thrones tourists that is not dissimilar to that which descended upon New Zealand in the advent of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and latterly, The Hobbit series. The HBO phenomenon has been gathering pace since the series started in 2011 and the Croatian tourist board has assisted the country’s entire economy with a substantial boost.
Dubrovnik, which is already a major Mediterranean vacation city and seaport, is the setting for the story’s capital of the Seven Kingdoms, King’s Landing. For those who monitor tourism and its effect on the economy are delighted. They allowed HBO to film in the city in the midst of the high season as the knock on effect in employment and revenue was worth the huge disruption.
Several online companies have been cropping up offering Game of Thrones trips and tours of all lengths and prices. These itineraries take in some of Croatia’s seven UNESCO World Heritage Sites - the walled city of Dubrovnik, the Diocletian Palace and the Krka National Park. Each of these ancient sites provide the backdrops for the battles, intrigues and the oft-talked about dragons, all set on the fantasy continents of Westeros and Essos.
Dubrovnik, which is already a major Mediterranean vacation city and seaport, is the setting for the story’s capital of the Seven Kingdoms, King’s Landing
Other locations across Croatia also appear in the series as fictional towns - the islands of Lokrum off the coast of Dubrovnik and Mrkan off the coast of Cavtat, the village of Mlini, the fortresses of Minceta, Bokar, Klis and Lovrijenac, the Trsteno Arboretum and the Dubac quarry.
And what better way to arrive on the trip of a lifetime than by superyacht? Croatia and most especially the Dalmatian Coast has one of the most enviable coastlines in Europe, with an array of beautiful islands to visit, not to mention crystal clear waters, picturesque harbours and medieval ports.
For more details, contact your preferred charter broker.
To start planning your own Game of Thrones adventure, browse throught the luxury superyachts available for charter in Croatia.
SUPERYACHTS FOR CHARTER IN CROATIA:
Kismet Yacht For Charter
95m Lurssen, 2014
Athena Yacht For Charter
90m Royal Huisman, 2004 / 2011
Seanna Yacht For Charter
65m Benetti, 2011
Perseus^3 Yacht For Charter
60m Perini Navi, 2015
Oasis Yacht For Charter
59m Lurssen, 2006 / 2009
Mia Rama Yacht For Charter
54m Golden Yachts, 2010
Ohana Yacht For Charter
50m Fitzroy, 2012
Philmi Yacht For Charter
43m ISA, 2014
Aurelia Yacht For Charter
37m Heesen, 2011 / 2013
- 10 of the Best Motor Yachts Available For Charter in 2017With so many outstanding options on offer for 2017, we take a look at 10 of the best motor yachts to consider for your ...
- M/Y PIONEER Offers Two Free Days of CharterOffering guests 9 days charter for the price of 7, the 46m/151ft expedition yacht PIONEER is perfect for exploring the ...
- M/Y ELYSIAN Open For Charter In The CaribbeanFollowing her appearance at the Antigua Charter Yacht Show in December, the 60m/197ft motor yacht ELYSIAN is now availa...
- M/Y ‘Grace E’ Opens for America’s Cup CharterThe award-winning 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Grace E’ will be in Bermuda this summer, offering guests an unforgettable char...
- Greece Maintains Status as a Superyacht Hotspot With a new year now underway, it’s possible to see how Greece continued to maintain its position as one of the prime ya...
- M/Y AXIOMA Drops Rate By €255,000 For WinterOffering a considerable reduction on select dates this spring and autumn, the 72m/236ft motor yacht AXIOMA presents a d...