The superyacht charter industry in the Seychelles is reported to be 'booming' in the Seychelles according to local sources in the archipelago.
The 115 exotic islands which make up the Seychelles are experiencing significant numbers of visitors to their shores, largely thanks to the combination of exotic reefs and unspoilt stretches of green on offer to charterers.
In an interview with the BBC earlier this week, local Captain of a 24m/79ft Feretti charter yacht 'Sea Stream,' Graham Gower, commented that high numbers of European visitors are heading to the Indian Ocean hotspot for a charter vacation. Despite the economy having taken a "bit of the dip," the charter industry currently appears unfaltering, and is performing "nicely" according to the Captain.
Speaking on why more people are increasingly choosing the luxury of the sea than the shore, he mused, “If you are looking at one of the top resorts it doesn’t cost you a lot more to be on a boat."
The East African islands had previously had a problem with piracy, with Captain Gower stating “The charter industry in the Seychelles has faced a few challenges; the main challenge being the whole piracy issue – around 2009 there was a lot of active piracy in the region,” he said. “This year I find the piracy issue has died down and we are a lot busier."
With visitors from Madagascar, Mauritius, Mexico and across the globe, the route to the Seychelles is considered significantly more safe than in previous years.
Local charter companies are additionally reporting great interest in luxury yacht charters, and particularly from clientele from South Africa and Russia looking for 1-day trips (in spite of the economic slowdown in Russia).
Manager of the Seychelles Yacht Club, Eleanor Scharfenberg, has publically recognised that the Seychelles is also becoming an increasingly popular charter destination for superyachts travelling from afar. She stated that the archipelago is "seeing an increase in the yachts in transit from other countries" thanks to what it has to offer as a holiday destination, and the notable decrease in piracy.
Charter Location Benefits
In addition to the increased safety of the Seychelles, its natural beauty and varied marine life - offering an excellent scuba diving or fishing experience - are why charterers are choosing to travel to the islands, as a change from a Mediterranean vacation. Both its marinas, the Wharf Marina or the Eden Island Marina, are found on the Mahé coast are favoured for the anonymity they provide for those looking for a relaxing, private retreat.
The country additionally hosts a boat show to showcase all it has to offer, following a successful first edition last June.
President of the Seychelles, James Michel, recently said he hopes it can soon become an Indian Ocean hub for yachting.
The Seychelles yachting season runs from November to May. To find out more information about planning your next vacation here, contact your preferred charter broker.
Alternatively, compare the size, style or amenities of all vessels available for a Seychelles luxury yacht charter.
the piracy issue has died down and we are a lot busier
- 10 of the Best Motor Yachts Available For Charter in 2017With so many outstanding options on offer for 2017, we take a look at 10 of the best motor yachts to consider for your ...
- World's Largest Superyacht REV Available To CharterSet to become the world's largest superyacht in terms of both length and gross tonnage (GT), the 182m/596ft motor yacht...
- Superyacht 11-11 Now Available for Peak SeasonDue to a change in the owner’s plans, the 63m/207ft motor yacht 11/11 has some highly desireable and rare charter avail...
- M/Y KHALILAH Joins the Global Charter FleetThe first all carbon superyacht, the 49m/157ft superyacht KHALILAH is the latest addition to the global charter fleet. ...
- M/Y SAVANNAH Offers Rare Charter OpportunityOne of the most highly regarded and exclusive superyachts of all time, the 84m/274ft motor yacht SAVANNAH has some rare...
- Video: Life On Board 83m M/Y ‘Here Comes The Sun’A brand new video released by Amels showcases the levels of luxury to be enjoyed on board their largest superyacht to d...