Eight new marinas designed to service large yachts are to be built in Thailand, with two planned for the emerging yachting hotspot of Phuket.
The marina development plan was announced by Thailand’s Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith and is part of the government’s initiative to transform Thailand into the superyacht hub of South East Asia.
Four of the new marinas will be constructed along the coastline of the Andaman Sea, with the other four gracing the Gulf of Thailand.
Phuket is to welcome two new developments: the Asian Marina in Rassada and the Kung Bay Marina in Pa Khlok. The latter will be the larger of the two and deep enough to host superyachts. Construction is expected to begin on the Pa Khlok project in the first quarter of 2017.
The province of Phang Nga, located north of Phuket, is also set for two new marinas. The Aqua Star Marina and the Ban Bangchan Marina will both have berths measuring three to five metres in length.
Meanwhile, Koh Samui, one of the largest islands in the Gulf of Thailand, will offer two new marinas with shallower berths than their Andaman coast counterparts. However, the Laem Tien Port in Chonburi, situated 30 kilometres from Pattaya and 180 metres from Bangkok, will offer berths with a depth of five to six metres.
Berth depth for the final project in the Trat province is yet to be confirmed, but is expected to be the smallest of the eight new marinas.
The marina development plan is part of the government’s initiative to transform Thailand into the superyacht hub of South East Asia
Thailand is one of the fasting growing yacht destinations in the world thanks to its spectacular combination of azure waters, sublime beaches, delicious cuisine, vibrant culture and glorious weather. Plus new legislation announced last August means foreign-flagged superyachts can now legally charter in Thai waters.
Alternatively, take a look at all luxury yachts available to charter in Thailand.
- Brand new ‘go-anywhere' M/Y ‘Planet Nine’ to open for charterAn incredibly powerful world explorer in a class of its own, the brand new 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Planet Nine’ from Adm...
- 6 brand new charter yachts entering the market in 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...
- Sneak preview inside brand new M/Y O’MATHILDENow only a couple of months from completion, a number of exciting renderings have been published to illustrate the fasc...
- The 5 Largest Charter Yachts Launched In 2017Rounding-up some of the hottest deliveries of the year, we countdown the 5 largest charter yachts which were launched i...
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best new superyachts in 2018.
- Popular Marinas Reopen In The CaribbeanIn yet more good news for the Caribbean, it was revealed today that key marinas in the Virgin Islands and St Martin hav...