The 2018 edition of Art Basel Miami will open its doors next week on 6 December, attracting art enthusiasts, collectors and creators as well as a fine fleet of superyachts to the so-called Magic City.
Some 268 leading galleries from 34 countries will be showcasing their prime pieces at the four-day annual art show. Now in its 17th year, the fair is one of the most highly anticipated events on Miami’s calendar and, due to the city’s waterside setting, is a major draw for superyacht-goers.
Alongside the extensive art displays, there will be parties, satellite fairs and other events taking place across the city and such a jam-packed schedule provides even more reason to visit. Here’s what to look out for at the upcoming exhibition and how to navigate it on a luxury yacht charter.
This year’s highlight is expected to the reopening of the state-of-the-art Miami Convention Center, home to the show’s five key sections. The main part, known as Galleries, will feature 198 international galleries that include 12 returning exhibitors such as Miami’s David Castillo Gallery.
Eleven leading names in prints and editioned works will be presented in Edition while upcoming solo talents will helm 14 solo booths in Positions and Nova will serve as a platform for new artists from established galleries. Lastly, the five-year-old Sector will focus on work created prior to 2000.
As the main event kicks off in the Miami Convention Center, scores of satellite fairs which are well worth exploring will pop up in neighbourhoods across the city and below is just a small sample of what can be seen.
South Beach is a brilliant place to begin with exhibitions on the sand. SCOPE presents large-scale installations and immersive projects, PULSE is dedicated to contemporary works and Untitled will feature a performance piece titled #NeverNotWorking which provides commentary on workplace exploitation.
South Beach Hotel will get in on the action too, transforming its rooms into gallery spaces and running the InkMinx Mobile Tattoo tent and Wynwood Convention Center welcomes more than 160 exhibitors as well as Art Labs and Art Talks for collectors.
Miami is world known for its unbridled party scene, so big things can be expected during Art Basel Miami. For live music, Rakastella will be hosting a roster of dance DJs at Virginia Key Beach Park, a stellar Blnk Cnvs Presents line-up is on the cards at Soho Studios and indie label Ninja Tune will take over Club Space.
Rockwell will partner with the ever-popular New York City-based nightclub brand 1OAK to offer a pop-up experience expected to draw in the celebs while Bombay Sapphire will take over the Villa Casa Casuarina again for its annual soiree but, beware, you need your name on the exclusive guest list to get in.
Another mainstay of Art Basel Miami is the plethora of events held to coincide with the fair, such as immersive art experiences, workshops, performances and pop-up concept stores from top fashion designers.
Among the most exciting are a Create & Cultivate summit championing female entrepreneurs, a multidimensional reinterpretation of Brother Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty complete with an EDM soundtrack and a fusion of art, nightlife and fun activations at Basel House.
Art Basel Miami presents a brilliant opportunity to charter a superyacht, whether it be for hosting a corporate event or glittering party or to simply soak up all the art action while being based in the luxurious surrounds only a luxury yacht can provide.
Berthed in one of Miami’s state-of-the-art marinas such as Island Gardens or India Creek, yacht-goers will be at the heart of the activities and well-placed to easily step ashore to seek out the exhibitions and fringe events as well as the city’s exciting collection of restaurants, clubs and bars.
After the busy festivities, charterers can escape on their yacht to unwind in idyllic areas nearby such as Florida Keys’ Elliot Key or Key Biscayne where white sandy stretches and peaceful national parks await. Designer shops and perfectly groomed private beaches are then on offer in Bal Harbour.
- Which yacht stars in the TV series 'Succession'?The 279ft (85m) charter yacht SOLANDGE is the yacht in HBO’s Succession. Hitting TV screens in 2019, the season finale ...
- 82m superyacht RoMea to charter in the Maldives this winterVenture to the lesser-explored Maldives this winter and discover a slice of paradise on board the 82m/ 268ft motor yach...
- First look inside brand new charter yacht SOARINGDue to launch later this year from Abeking & Rasmussen, the first renderings of the 68m/ 223ft motor yacht SOARING have...
- 75m Feadship charter yacht ARROW makes a splashThis weekend saw the official launch ceremony and christening of the newest addition to the Feadship fleet; 75m/ 246ft ...
- Superyacht KISMET gets blown up in '6 Underground' movieStarring in the biggest Netflix movie to date, Lurssen’s 95m/ 312ft motor yacht KISMET plays a central role in new Mich...
- Brand new 95m charter yacht O’PARI on track for 2020 delivery Golden Yachts is set to launch the 95m/310ft motor yacht O’PARI next spring, following which she will be available for ...