The first name given to this legendary yacht of Hitler's' government, was "AVISO HELA". The history of the above vessel began on June 19, 1937 with concluding the contract for building a dispatch-vessel with Hamburg ship yard "H. C. Stulcken Sohn".
On November 23, 1937 the keel was laid and on December 29, 1938 the yacht hull was ceremonially launched. The ceremony of hoisting the navy flag took place on October 16, 1940 and this date is officially considered as birthday of the yacht. The yacht was named "HELA".
Having come into service as headquarters vessel of the German submarine fleet commander, "HELA" was the peculiar government yacht of Germany. On board the vessel there was fluttered the flag of Hitlers' gross-admiral Karl Denitz.
During World War II the yacht was armed with two 105-mm guns, one 37-mm and two 20-mm anti-aircraft sub-machine-guns. Officially the yacht was classed as "aviso", i.e. dispatch-vessel, operational or auxiliary flag-ship.
The standard DWT of "HELA" was 2115 tons, full DWT - 2520 tons. The length of the hull was 98,5 m, breadth - 12,7 m, draft - 4,05 m. Four diesel engines of MAN type with total power 6300 H.P. drew two propellers and let the yacht to have full speed for 18 knots. The staff number of the crew was 244 persons.
The corridors of the yacht and four cabins of luxury class still keep the traces of stay of the highest leaders of the 3rd Reich.
On board the vessel there were repeatedly Hitler, Hering, Hebels, Himmer and other representatives of Nazi bosses.
After the fall of Germany the yacht "HELA" was passed to the Soviet Union and on November 5, 1945 the yacht was included to the list of vessels of USSR Navy. On December 25, 1945 the vessel was officially given to the soviet crew.
The USSR Navy flag was hoisted first time on January 20, 1946 and on March 29, 1946 the yacht entered the South-Baltic Fleet.
"HELA" got its new name "ANGARA" on May 13, 1946. In three years the yacht was transferred to the Black sea Fleet.
In the period since June 22, 1957 till March 13, 1958 "ANGARA" was used as official government yacht of the USSR and then the yacht was passed back to the Black sea Fleet for using it as the management vessel or headquarters vessel-yacht of the Black sea Fleet commander.
In the book of honored guests visiting the vessel, there are records of many famous people of the past: Presidents, General Secretaries, Marshals, Generals, Astronauts, scientists, writers and artists. Among the guests are: Stalin, Voroshilov, Beria, Kaganovich, Chrustsev, Gagarin, the President of Finland, the Prime Ministers of India, the King of Afghanistan, Ministers of Defense from China, Bulgaria, Poland, Hungary, Romania, the Fleet Commanders of Germany, Romania, Poland, Bulgaria and many others.
Angara offers accommodation for up to 12 guests. She is also capable of carrying up to 20 crew onboard to ensure a relaxed luxury yacht experience.
Angara features a displacement steel hull and steel superstructure, with teak decks.
Powered by 4 MAN (G6Z-52/70) 1,500hp diesel engines Motor yacht Angara is capable of a top speed of 20 knots, and comfortably cruises at 17 knots. Her water tanks store around 50,000 litres of fresh water.
Motor yacht Angara is currently not believed to be available for private Charter. To view similar yachts for charter, or contact your Yacht Charter Broker for information about renting a luxury charter yacht.
‘Yacht Charter Fleet’ is a free information service, if your yacht is available for charter please contact us with details and photos and we will update our records.