According to sources close to the situation, Ellison’s comments caused a stir behind closed doors. Not only did they come as a surprise to many, the America’s Cup Event Authority (ACEA) are said to be cooling to the idea of going back to Bermuda.
Ellison, however, did not mention the cup itself, leading to the conjecture that Bermuda will solely be offered as a stop on an expanded America’s Cup World Series circuit.
But, much more significantly, the ACEA does not have a say in where the next America’s Cup is held. The decision lies with the winner of the previous edition, the result of which will be decided when Emirates Team New Zealand and ORACLE TEAM USA do battle next week.
Another element is then thrown into the mix in regards to the New Zealand squad as, back in January, they were the only team out of six not to sign a new America’s Cup framework, which seeks to offer long sought-after stability and continuity in the competition.
So, unchartered territory may be crossed if the Kiwis are successful in their campaign to take home the America’s Cup trophy.
Although the destination of the next America’s Cup is unknown, the framework has revealed the next two editions, the 36th and 37th America’s Cup, will take place in 2019 and 2021 respectively.
Plus, a schedule has been outlined. Once this year’s event is over, six months of planning will begin, then the America’s Cup World Series will get underway, with up to 12 international events taking place before the final cup match.
The first year of racing will take place in AC45F foiling catamarans – the same boats used in the America’s Cup World Series in the 35th America’s Cup - but the second year will see a transition to the America’s Cup Class.
The framework agreement is said to provide stability and give interested teams an opportunity to plan longer term. It also establishes a modern sporting, technology and design challenge, within which costs are controlled to provide a much lower entry price, which will encourage more teams to be involved and ultimately create larger audiences and help incentivize more people to go sailing.
It is thought that Bermuda will solely be offered as a stop on an expanded America’s Cup World Series circuit
- Brand new ‘go-anywhere' M/Y ‘Planet Nine’ to open for charterAn incredibly powerful world explorer in a class of its own, the brand new 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Planet Nine’ from Adm...
- 6 brand new charter yachts entering the market in 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...
- Sneak preview inside brand new M/Y O’MATHILDENow only a couple of months from completion, a number of exciting renderings have been published to illustrate the fasc...
- The 5 Largest Charter Yachts Launched In 2017Rounding-up some of the hottest deliveries of the year, we countdown the 5 largest charter yachts which were launched i...
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best new superyachts in 2018.
- Popular Marinas Reopen In The CaribbeanIn yet more good news for the Caribbean, it was revealed today that key marinas in the Virgin Islands and St Martin hav...