Day 1 of racing at the Perini Navi Cup 2015 saw the spinnakers on board many competitors see a lot of action as light winds tested tacticians and crews across the board in bid to be victorious in Sardinia. One sailing yacht not reaching the heights of her previous 2011 and 2013 Perini Navi Cup victories so far after two days of racing is clipper yacht 'Maltese Falcon,' chartered especially for the event.
Tactician on board 88m/289ft sailing yacht Maltese Falcon, Damon Roberts, has had a challenging couple of days navigating the Perini Navi Cup's regatta course in Porto Cervo. Reflecting on the results after Day 1 of racing, he said, "Overall, a pretty good day for us, we’re a 1200-tonne boat and we had 6 knots to 3 knots of wind for 80% of the race and we had upwind sailing conditions for 80% of the race as well so not the perfect weather for a large 3-masted sailing vessel." He concluded that finishing third was a "good day" for him and the Maltese Falcon team.
The iconic 2005-build, renowned for its innovative DynaRig technology, was chartered by a Chinese party looking to absorb the incredible atmosphere of this union of the Perini Navi 'family.' A guest on board Maltese Falcon for the event said they had been "embraced by the Captain and crew" and felt "blessed" to be enjoying the event.
David White, rigger on board 59m/192ft charter yacht SEAHAWK, a 2013 delivery from Perini Navi, echoed the thoughts of Maltese Falcon's tactician, stating that given the conditions, "everybody did pretty well today." Able to capitalise on the weather conditions was a smaller yacht from the Perini Navi fleet so far is ketch yacht Rosehearty (also available to charter), who is currently in first place.
Despite the light winds the event has so far been a great success. A first-timer on board superyacht Jasali II best summarises the appeal of the Perini Navi Cup, stating, "“To be out on the open water and watch the sails unfurl is incredible. Just to be out there with the other ships, racing in the wind, with all the crew around you and getting to look at some of these other Perini boats is amazing. It’s a memorable experience and a really beautiful day.”
The results of the 2015 Perini Navi Cup are so far as follows:
Day 1 Results
1 ROSEHEARTY - Finish Time 13:20:12 - Points 1,00
2 CLAN VIII - Finish Time 14:11:41 - Points 2,00
3 THE MALTESE FALCON - Finish Time 14:11:54 - Point 3,00
Day 2 Results
1 ROSEHEARTY - Finish Time 14:00:28 - Points 1,00
2 CLAN VIII - Finish Time 14:10:39 - Points 2,00
3 THE MALTESE FALCON - Finish Time 14:07:47 - Points 3,00
Check back to YachtCharterFleet for all the latest news on this year's Perini Navi Cup.
a Chinese charter party looking to absorb the incredible atmosphere of event said they had been felt "blessed" to be enjoying the event.
- First look inside brand new M/Y SOLOPhotos of the 72m/236ft charter yacht SOLO have just been released, giving an exclusive insight into the deck spaces an...
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- Sail and ski in Norway aboard S/Y FIREBIRD The 27m/89ft sailing yacht FIREBIRD from UK-based Oyster Yachts is offering a unique sailing and skiing charter experie...