The Phinisi superyacht ‘Dunia Baru’ berthed in Lombok armed with thousands of dollars worth of supplies for victims of the Indonesian earthquake disaster.
Stocked with supplies, the 51m/ 167ft motor/sailer yacht ‘Dunia Baru’ arrived in Lombok earlier this week to distribute aid to the people affected by the devastating earthquakes.
On board was the yacht’s owner Mark Robba, as well as friends, family and volunteers from Indonesian travel and yacht charter companies. 37South Yachts, Indo Yachts and Black Tomato Travel were among the companies who generously donated and set to work distributing the supplies on the ground in Lombok.
Dunia Baru sailed at full speed today bound for Lombok. The superyacht is carrying thousands of dollars' worth of supplies, donated by Dunia Baru, @44indoyachts, @37south_yachts, @blacktomatotravel and friends, for people affected by the recent earthquakes. Thank you to all who've donated so generously! #DuniaBaruAdventures #Indonesia #thisisindonesia #lombok #earthquake #relief #lombokearthquake #lombokearthquakerelief #onenation #spreadthelove #givingback #superyacht #makeadifference
The relief effort has accumulated thousands of dollars worth of emergency supplies so far, and has concentrated on 4 villages in the north of the island that are out of reach of main roads, making them difficult to deliver aid to.
Working with the Military Police, the team managed to access the people living there and hand out parcels containing food, clothes and makeshift tents and bedding. They also delivered a huge supply of petrol in an effort to improve transport links across the island.
Robba said the devastation he saw on the island exceeded his expectations. “Compared to their needs, our contribution is so small, but everyone has been so appreciative of the assistance we’ve given them.” He said in an Instagram post.
“About 30% of the houses and structures appeared to be totally destroyed over most of Lombok. Nearly everyone is living under tarps – they are fearful there will be more earthquakes.” He wrote.
It’s incredible to see such a worthwhile cause be made possible by a superyacht and her owner. The yacht was integral for transporting the supplies and Robba’s contributions are desperately needed- the death toll from the Lombok earthquake stands at 515, but is continuing to rise as more people are discovered. The fear aftershocks hangs in the air, threatening to seize the island once more.
But with the supplies that Robba and the team have provided, the people will be able to live more comfortably in a temporary state until reparations to the island’s building and infrastructure begin to be carried out.
The owner of the yacht is committed to giving back to the areas that he and his charter guests have enjoyed so much. No stranger to philanthropy, Robba is in the process of building a learning centre in one of the remote villages of Raja Ampat. By working with local communities, the eco-learning centre will help to foster a sustainable future in the area.
About 30% of the houses and structures appeared to be totally destroyed over most of Lombok. Nearly everyone is living under tarps.
The superyacht is not made unique solely by her philanthropic contributions; she is also a one-of-a-kind Phinisi that has been crowned the jewel of Indonesia, and quite rightly so. Built using traditional methods, she is a masterpiece of exquisite beauty and first-rate craftsmanship. Read our review on board superyacht Dunia Baru.
To help the people affected by the Lombok earthquake, you can donate to the Indonesian Red Cross.
- The best brand-new superyachts for charter in 2019Be among the first to step on board a brand new superyacht with our round-up of the best recently-delivered yachts avai...
- VIDEO: Feadship transports 93m charter yacht ‘Lady S’ In a recent video, Feadship gives viewers a behind-the-scenes glimpse into how they moved their 93m/ 305ft megayacht ‘L...
- M/Y ‘Christina O’ available to charter at a reduced rate in the MediterraneanExplore Mediterranean hotspots such as the South of France and the Italian Riviera at a reduced rate on board one of th...
- 93m Feadship M/Y ‘Lady S’ joins the charter fleet It was announced this morning that Feadship’s latest masterpiece, the 93m/305ft superyacht ‘Lady S’, will be available ...
- Australia charter special announced on M/Y ‘Infinity Pacific’Enjoy nine days for the price of seven on Whitsundays yacht charters on board the 40m/133ft motor yacht ‘Infinity Pacif...
- 82m superyacht ROMEA available for South of France event chartersThe 82m/268ft motor yacht ROMEA has announced she is still available for Monaco Grand Prix yacht charters and Cannes Fi...