The Phinisi superyacht ‘Dunia Baru’ berthed in Lombok armed with thousands of dollars worth of supplies for victims of the Indonesian earthquake disaster.
Stocked with supplies, the 51m/ 167ft motor/sailer yacht ‘Dunia Baru’ arrived in Lombok earlier this week to distribute aid to the people affected by the devastating earthquakes.
On board was the yacht’s owner Mark Robba, as well as friends, family and volunteers from Indonesian travel and yacht charter companies. 37South Yachts, Indo Yachts and Black Tomato Travel were among the companies who generously donated and set to work distributing the supplies on the ground in Lombok.
Dunia Baru sailed at full speed today bound for Lombok. The superyacht is carrying thousands of dollars' worth of supplies, donated by Dunia Baru, @44indoyachts, @37south_yachts, @blacktomatotravel and friends, for people affected by the recent earthquakes. Thank you to all who've donated so generously! #DuniaBaruAdventures #Indonesia #thisisindonesia #lombok #earthquake #relief #lombokearthquake #lombokearthquakerelief #onenation #spreadthelove #givingback #superyacht #makeadifference
The relief effort has accumulated thousands of dollars worth of emergency supplies so far, and has concentrated on 4 villages in the north of the island that are out of reach of main roads, making them difficult to deliver aid to.
Working with the Military Police, the team managed to access the people living there and hand out parcels containing food, clothes and makeshift tents and bedding. They also delivered a huge supply of petrol in an effort to improve transport links across the island.
Robba said the devastation he saw on the island exceeded his expectations. “Compared to their needs, our contribution is so small, but everyone has been so appreciative of the assistance we’ve given them.” He said in an Instagram post.
“About 30% of the houses and structures appeared to be totally destroyed over most of Lombok. Nearly everyone is living under tarps – they are fearful there will be more earthquakes.” He wrote.
It’s incredible to see such a worthwhile cause be made possible by a superyacht and her owner. The yacht was integral for transporting the supplies and Robba’s contributions are desperately needed- the death toll from the Lombok earthquake stands at 515, but is continuing to rise as more people are discovered. The fear aftershocks hangs in the air, threatening to seize the island once more.
But with the supplies that Robba and the team have provided, the people will be able to live more comfortably in a temporary state until reparations to the island’s building and infrastructure begin to be carried out.
The owner of the yacht is committed to giving back to the areas that he and his charter guests have enjoyed so much. No stranger to philanthropy, Robba is in the process of building a learning centre in one of the remote villages of Raja Ampat. By working with local communities, the eco-learning centre will help to foster a sustainable future in the area.
About 30% of the houses and structures appeared to be totally destroyed over most of Lombok. Nearly everyone is living under tarps.
The superyacht is not made unique solely by her philanthropic contributions; she is also a one-of-a-kind Phinisi that has been crowned the jewel of Indonesia, and quite rightly so. Built using traditional methods, she is a masterpiece of exquisite beauty and first-rate craftsmanship. Read our review on board superyacht Dunia Baru.
To help the people affected by the Lombok earthquake, you can donate to the Indonesian Red Cross.
- First look inside brand new M/Y SOLOPhotos of the 72m/236ft charter yacht SOLO have just been released, giving an exclusive insight into the deck spaces an...
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- 8 top superyachts open for Thanksgiving chartersIf you’re looking to spend Thanksgiving with your loved ones enjoying a yacht charter vacation, then you’re in luck; th...
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...