Superyacht DRAGONFLY Helps Cyclone Victims in Vanuatu
Following a call to action to the industry to help the victims of a cyclone which devastated Vanuatu last week, superyacht owners and crews are assisting in providing aid to help rebuild the community.
One vessel thought to be en route to the archipelago is the 73m superyacht DRAGONFLY, recently refitted and able to travel at a top speed of 25 knots to the islands most isolated islands. Following instructions by her owner, the yacht is expected to arrive at the main harbour in Port Vila on Saturday. Her crew will help transport aid, search-and-rescue missions and work alongside local medical teams to aid the disaster relief.
Captain Mike Gregory commented, “Dragonfly has extensively cruised the beautiful and remote areas of Vanuatu over the past 2 years. We were shocked and saddened to see the devastation caused by Cyclone Pam, and we know that the resources we have onboard can make a huge difference and will ultimately save lives."
The effect of winds of up to 200mph has been catastrophic to some remote islands of Vanautu, with thousands now homeless. The need for drinking water, food and shelter supplies and assistance clearing debris, sawing trees and rebuilding homes is critical.
Speaking on Cyclone Pam, Justin Jenkin of Vanuatu Yacht Services said, “Most of our staff have been left with broken homes and are in a desperate plight. We have had some of our clients and friends offer to help financially support the rebuilding of our team’s homes.” Adding that, “Unfortunately, the majority of boats, yachts, fishing vessels that were in the harbour have sunk or run aground with severe damage.”
YachtAidGlobal are looking for superyachts like M/Y DRAGONFLY in the Asia Pacific region to help the residents of Vanuatu. Any assistance could have a huge effect on the efforts of local communities in rebuilding their life.
To offer your help please contact the organisations founder, Capt. Mark Drewelow via email. YachtAidGlobal are additionally matching any donations to victims of the cyclone by as much as $5,000/€4712 – more information can be found at their website.
Her crew will help transport aid, search-and-rescue missions and work alongside local medical teams to aid the disaster relief.
More Yacht Information
Dragonfly Yacht For Charter
73m SilverYachts, 2009 / 2014
- 10 of the Best Motor Yachts Available For Charter in 2017With so many outstanding options on offer for 2017, we take a look at 10 of the best motor yachts to consider for your ...
- M/Y PIONEER Offers Two Free Days of CharterOffering guests 9 days charter for the price of 7, the 46m/151ft expedition yacht PIONEER is perfect for exploring the ...
- M/Y ELYSIAN Open For Charter In The CaribbeanFollowing her appearance at the Antigua Charter Yacht Show in December, the 60m/197ft motor yacht ELYSIAN is now availa...
- M/Y ‘Grace E’ Opens for America’s Cup CharterThe award-winning 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Grace E’ will be in Bermuda this summer, offering guests an unforgettable char...
- Greece Maintains Status as a Superyacht Hotspot With a new year now underway, it’s possible to see how Greece continued to maintain its position as one of the prime ya...
- M/Y AXIOMA Drops Rate By €255,000 For WinterOffering a considerable reduction on select dates this spring and autumn, the 72m/236ft motor yacht AXIOMA presents a d...