Excitement is already building in the UK coastal city of Portsmouth as racing for the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series prepares to get underway tomorrow afternoon.
Taking place on Saturday and Sunday (July 23 and 24), the adrenaline fuelled spectacle will see the world’s best sailors racing on foiling, wing-sailed catamarans in the Solent waters, fighting it out for the top spot.
The six competing teams comprise Oracle Team USA, Emirates Team New Zealand, Groupama Team France, Softbank Team Japan, the UK’s Land Rover Bar and Sweden’s Artermis Racing.
Following on from three rounds in 2015 and a further three rounds this year, the America’s Cup World Series sees New Zealand leading the score board with 295 points, and the USA and UK closely on their heels with 285 points each.
It will certainly be a big weekend for Sir Ben Ainslie and his UK team as they compete on home waters, and in front of their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Two more events in Toulon, France, and Fukouka, Japan, will take place in September and November respectively and conclude the racing series before the main America’s Cup event begins in June 2017 in Bermuda.
The series winner will be the team with the most points, counting every point they have received from each of the different rounds.
Spectators will be able to take in all the action in designated viewing areas along the Portsmouth coast and there will be plenty of on-shore entertainment running alongside the racing.
Activities lined up include the TechZone, aerobatic displays, skatepark shows, the marketplace and the local Southsea Market.
It will certainly be a big weekend for Sir Ben Ainslie and his UK team mates as they compete on home waters
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- BEST PHOTOS: Monaco Yacht Show 2018YachtCharterFleet has handpicked the best photos from more than 6,000 Instagram posts to help you get straight to the h...
- First look inside brand new 85m M/Y O’PTASIABrand new and available to charter in Greece, the 85m/279ft motor yacht O’PTASIA has released some fresh images of the ...
- Feadship M/Y JOY now available for Caribbean yacht charterMaking her Caribbean debut, the magnificent 70m/230ft motor yacht JOY is now open to enquiries for luxury yacht charter...