Excitement is already building in the UK coastal city of Portsmouth as racing for the Louis Vuitton America’s Cup World Series prepares to get underway tomorrow afternoon.
Taking place on Saturday and Sunday (July 23 and 24), the adrenaline fuelled spectacle will see the world’s best sailors racing on foiling, wing-sailed catamarans in the Solent waters, fighting it out for the top spot.
The six competing teams comprise Oracle Team USA, Emirates Team New Zealand, Groupama Team France, Softbank Team Japan, the UK’s Land Rover Bar and Sweden’s Artermis Racing.
Following on from three rounds in 2015 and a further three rounds this year, the America’s Cup World Series sees New Zealand leading the score board with 295 points, and the USA and UK closely on their heels with 285 points each.
It will certainly be a big weekend for Sir Ben Ainslie and his UK team as they compete on home waters, and in front of their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Two more events in Toulon, France, and Fukouka, Japan, will take place in September and November respectively and conclude the racing series before the main America’s Cup event begins in June 2017 in Bermuda.
The series winner will be the team with the most points, counting every point they have received from each of the different rounds.
Spectators will be able to take in all the action in designated viewing areas along the Portsmouth coast and there will be plenty of on-shore entertainment running alongside the racing.
Activities lined up include the TechZone, aerobatic displays, skatepark shows, the marketplace and the local Southsea Market.
It will certainly be a big weekend for Sir Ben Ainslie and his UK team mates as they compete on home waters
- Brand new ‘go-anywhere' M/Y ‘Planet Nine’ to open for charter in MayAn incredibly powerful world explorer in a class of its own, the brand new 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Planet Nine’ from Adm...
- 6 brand new charter yachts entering the market in 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...
- Sneak preview inside brand new charter yacht O’MATHILDENow only a couple of months from completion, a number of exciting renderings have been published to illustrate the fasc...
- The 5 Largest Charter Yachts Launched In 2017Rounding-up some of the hottest deliveries of the year, we countdown the 5 largest charter yachts which were launched i...
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best new superyachts in 2018.
- Popular Marinas Reopen In The CaribbeanIn yet more good news for the Caribbean, it was revealed today that key marinas in the Virgin Islands and St Martin hav...