Leading 4-2 at the start of the day, needing just one more race win to finish the first-to-five tie, the Kiwis achieved it on the second attempt at racing – the first try having to be abandoned due to light winds.
Winning the start, Emirates Team New Zealand showed blazing speed, extending around the race course for what appeared to be an easy race win and a date in the final America’s Cup Match against the USA side.
The final, starting on 17th June, will be a highly contested battle given the clash between the two teams four years ago at the 34th America’s Cup in San Francisco when the US side came back from 8-1 down to win 9-8.
Kiwi helmsman Peter Burling, however, wasn’t on the defeated 2013 squad. In fact, the only holdover on the starting crew is wing trimmer and skipper Glenn Ashby, and the 2017 Emirates Team New Zealand doesn’t appear to be scarred from that experience.
At a post-race press conference, Ashby said, “I think the lessons we learned in San Francisco has made us stronger going forwards. The team has been re-built from the ground up and what has been created is a stronger unit than we’ve ever seen before. The motivation going forwards is certainly there.”
In the 35th America’s Cup Match, presented by Louis Vuitton, the first team to earn seven points will be victorious, taking home the ‘Auld Mug’. The final day of racing is expected to be on Sunday 25th June.
Also coming up in Bermuda is the final of the America’s Cup Superyacht Regatta, which takes place today, and the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup Finals, due to start on 20th June on the Great Sound.
The final will be a highly contested battle given their clash at the 34th America’s Cup when the Americans came back from 8-1 down to win 9-8
A number of charter yachts will be providing front row seats to the action when it kicks off at the weekend. If you are interested in a last-minute charter or would like to rent a luxury yacht in Bermuda, please speak to your preferred charter broker.
Alternatively, view all luxury yachts available for charter in Bermuda.
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- 8 top superyachts open for Thanksgiving chartersIf you’re looking to spend Thanksgiving with your loved ones enjoying a yacht charter vacation, then you’re in luck; th...
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...
- First look inside brand new 85m M/Y O’PTASIABrand new and available to charter in Greece, the 85m/279ft motor yacht O’PTASIA has released some fresh images of the ...