HomeX

Monaco Yacht Show states 2020 edition still set to go ahead amid calls to cancel - final decision yet to be made

Events news

By Katia Damborsky  29 May 2020

The organizers of the 2020 Monaco Yacht Show have said the show is set to go ahead as scheduled in September in a more intimate format, but the deadline for the decision about the feasibility of the show is in July, according to an interview with the show's Director Gaëlle Tallarida.

After a number of major shipyards and brokerage firms withdrew their support from the Monaco Yacht Show and suggested the show be cancelled due to Coronavirus concerns, organizers Informa have released a statement in collaboration with the Principality of Monaco.

The statement confirms the show is still set to go ahead as scheduled between September 23- 26 in Port Hercules, and states that the show will maintain ‘the highest standards of hygiene and cleanliness’. According to organizers, the show will be an ‘intimate’ and ‘secure’ event, with Social Distancing measures in place in all areas of the show.

The show also plans to go ahead as a ‘not-for-profit’ event dedicated to supporting the ‘speedy recovery for the industry post-COVID-19.’ 

In an interview conducted after the statement was released, show Director Gaëlle Tallarida said the deadline for confirming whether or not the show will go ahead is in July. 

client walks down the docks at monaco next to yacht
tender in the water at port hercules marina during monaco yacht showsuperyacht go with tender garage at monaco yacht show

We are playing our part by hosting a not-for-profit Monaco Yacht Show in 2020.

Charlie McCurdy, Chief Executive, Informa Markets

Charlie McCurdy, Chief Executive, Informa Markets commented; “The COVID-19 pandemic has had a devastating impact on all industries, not least the international yachting community.

"As we move to the other side of the pandemic, all parts of the industry need to work collaboratively to ensure a speedy return and recovery.

"We are playing our part by hosting a not-for-profit Monaco Yacht Show in 2020, providing an opportunity for the community to come together, share ideas, meet with customers and start to rebuild positive momentum.”

tender cruises between yachts at monaco yacht show in port hercules harbour

The news comes after two major associations withdrew their participation from the Monaco Yacht Show earlier in May, citing health and safety concerns. They also called on the Monaco Yacht Show to consider cancelling.

This move is expected to have a huge impact on the fleet in attendance at this year's Monaco Yacht Show. These two organizations- LYBRA and SYBAss- account for the vast majority of the larger, new-build, custom Superyachts that attend the show every year. 

New format

waterfall jacuzzi in superyacht dar during monaco yacht show 2018
man discusses matters with woman during monaco yacht show
yacht crew on tender in port hercules marina

The show will also introduce meet-up points which will stop attendees from gathering in groups at the stands. All viewings will be by appointment only.

The show intends to go ahead as a more intimate event this year, with new health and safety standards and Social Distancing enforced across the show.

The show has also proposed different schedules, with set visiting hours for different types of attendees including VIP clients.

The show will introduce meet-up points which will stop attendees from gathering in groups at the stands, and all yacht viewings will be by appointment only. Private transport will be more widespread across the show.

Attendees will be issued with face masks and there will be regular hand sanitization stations across the show, as well as a much more rigorous cleaning schedule. 

Auxiliary events such as the inaugural gala have been cancelled, and the show will now place heavy focus on business and networking rather than the social elements.

The show has also stated that it will now run as a non-profit event. 

Not-for-profit: What does this mean?

port hercules harbour by night, superyacht in line

This new format is in line with a smaller fleet of large, new-build superyachts, which is expected to come as a result of SYBAss and LYBRA withdrawing.

YachtCharterFleet has reached out to the show’s organizers to clarify what exactly is meant by ‘not-for-profit’ in the context of the show. 

Organizers are yet to respond, however it is understood that the Monaco Yacht Show intends to reduce exhibitors' fees by 30%.

According to our sources, the show will also allow exhibitors who have already paid to cancel and receive reimbursement provided they cancel before mid-June; alternatively, exhibitors can also opt out of the show this year, and will be credited for the 2021 edition of the show. 

The final decision

After the statement made by Informa and the Principality of Monaco, SuperyachtTimes was given an exclusive with the show's Director Gaëlle Tallarida, who stated that the confirmation deadline is on July 20. 

"As we all know, circumstances are different this year and we have redefined the deadline for confirming whether the show will run or not, which is now 20 July." Commented Gaëlle Tallarida.

"It is totally understandable that everyone would like more details, but nobody knows what will happen with this pandemic, so we are coping with the uncertainty whilst still working on all aspects of the show." She said.

Background information: Who has withdrawn from the Monaco Yacht Show and why?

monaco luxury yacht line up in port hercules

On May 15, it was announced that LYBRA and SYBAss would be withdrawing from the Monaco Yacht Show. Their decision stemmed from a number of factors including;

  • Concerns over the safety of the show
  • Clients willingness to attend the show
  • Whether it would be appropriate to hold such a luxury event within the context of a global pandemic.

Together, LYBRA and SYBAss account for the vast majority of large, brand new custom-built yachts that attend the show every year. 

In a letter to the Monaco Yacht Show, the associations also touched on a 'soured' partnership between the organizers of the event and the exhibitors; however, LYBRA and SYBAss have made it very clear that they intend to participate in future editions of the show. 

The 21 SYBAss members collectively account for 60% of yachts over 40 meters delivered to their owners over the last decade. These include Lurssen, Feadship, Benetti, Amels, Heesen, Oceanco, CRN, Abeking & Rasmussen, Sanlorenzo and Turquoise yachts.

LYBRA is comprised of 8 brokerage companies;  Burgess, Edmiston, Fraser, IYC, Northrop & Johnson, Ocean Independence, Yachtzoo and Y.CO. 

tender with show attendees cruising at monaco yacht show

As we all know, circumstances are different this year and we have redefined the deadline for confirming whether the show will run or not, which is now 20 July.

Monaco Yacht Show Director Gaëlle Tallarida

At the time of publication, the Monaco Yacht Show is still set to go ahead as planned between 23 - 26 September. As ever, YachtCharterFleet will be sure to keep you updated if this changes. 

To see excerpts from the letter where LYBRA and SYBAss outlined their decision to cancel, please refer to our article; Major participants of the 2020 Monaco Yacht Show withdraw over Coronavirus concerns.

For more travel information, charter advice, Social Distancing vacation ideas and news about COVID-19 and its impact on the yachting sector, please refer to our Coronavirus Yacht News.


 
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Yacht Charter Travel Advice
More Info
Shortlist

Yachts in your shortlist