Breaking new ground in superyacht design and oceanographic research, REV Ocean is a new class of explorer vessel.
Due for delivery in 2021, she will leave the yard equipped with cutting-edge research facilities never before seen on a superyacht, including six laboratories and the capacity to harvest live species from 3,000 metres below the surface of the sea.
She will be open for private yacht charters, and will operate under a never-before-seen charter arrangement whereby individuals can charter her alongside teams of researchers.
Build schedule & progress
Although REV Ocean has a long way to go before she sees delivery and is crowned with the ‘World’s Largest Yacht’ title, it is impressive to see the speed of her construction for a vessel of this size and complexity.
As it stands, she is around 50% complete. The steel hull and superstructure of the yacht were built at VARD’s specialist facilities in Tulcea, Romania using new construction techniques used in commercial shipbuilding.
After being towed to Norway she arrived VARD's Brattvag facility on October 2. She will stay here for one year for the installation of her scientific equipment.
Once the technical work is completed she will head to Lloyd Werft in Germany under her own propulsion for her exterior fairing and superyacht finish paint job, as well as deck laying and the installation of her high-quality superyacht interiors.
Full tour of REV Ocean
Guiding us on the tour is Nils Baadnes, the captain of REV Ocean, Aage Andreas Linningsvoll, Technical Project Manager, and Lawrence Hislop, Head of Marketing at REV Ocean.
Before our tour begins we’re given an exclusive first hand look of a detailed scale model of the completed project. From this we can see a number of features never seen before in her 3D renderings.
The first thing that hits you is that Espen Oeino, the multi-award-winning exterior designer, has crafted a sleek and streamlined profile that ensures her profile is elegant and her colossal size is well-proportioned.
While she is still in her bare bones, REV Ocean is still an impressive sight to behold. Spanning 11 decks in total (with 8 above the waterline) and stretching out across a vast 182.9m, the scale of this superyacht is breathtaking.
Stepping outside, the sheer scale of the yacht is put into perspective. Docked outside the shipyard, she towers over the buildings and makes the red and blue homes of Brattvag look like dolls’ houses.
YachtCharterFleet had the privilege of a full tour around REV Ocean, and were able to take a closer look at the in-build scientific equipment and research facilities on board.
While in Brattvag, we also had the chance to get some insight from the REV Ocean team about the yacht's unique mission and the ethos of the owner, Kjell Inke Rokke.
Full review coming soon
YachtCharterFleet will be publishing a complete review of our tour, as well as exclusive insights about her unique charter arrangement and her owner's mission to save the seas.
Be sure to keep checking our site for the exclusive tour of REV Ocean.
- In pictures: Inside Abeking & Rasmussen M/Y EXCELLENCEHer award-winning, spaceship-style exteriors have been the subject of much acclaim, but her interiors have been kept cl...
- Where are the brand new yachts of 2019 chartering this winter?Whether you’re looking to ring in the New Year in St Barts or explore the turquoise oasis of the Indian Ocean by yacht,...
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- Seychelles yacht charter special offered by 60m luxury yacht ‘St David’Escape to the Maldives and the Seychelles and enjoy no delivery fees when you charter the 60m/197ft motor yacht ‘St Dav...
- World's largest superyacht REV arrives in Norway for outfittingThe world's largest yacht, the 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has completed her journey to Norway, where she is set to...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.