A record fleet of nearly 90 yachts are getting ready to compete in the 10th edition of the RORC Caribbean 600, which kicks off in Antigua on Monday 19th February.
Teams from at least 22 nations have entered this year’s off-shore race, with superyachts, maxis, multihulls and a vast array of other racing and cruising vessels taking on the beautiful yet challenging course around the central Caribbean.
As usual, yachts from the UK and the US make up the majority of the fleet, accounting for over 30 entries. But, there has also been a significant number of entries from France.
Among the 11 French teams entered is the 17m/54ft sailing yacht ‘Teasing Machine’, which was the overall winner of the 2017 RORC Transatlantic Race and, consequently, considered to be a favourite at the upcoming Caribbean regatta.
The yacht will, however, face stiff competition from the 22m/72ft sailing yacht PROTEUS, which will be attempting an unprecedented third overall win.
Split into four IRC rating bands, the international fleet will be battling for class honours as well as the overall prize, the RORC Caribbean 600 Trophy.
Starting in Antigua, the race weaves around Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis, St Barths, St Martin and Anguilla before heading southwards to Guadeloupe
Other competitors to watch out for are two Antiguan yachts: the 11m/37ft sailing yacht TAZ and the 15m/48ft sailing yacht ‘Sleeper X’. Both scored memorable victories last year in IRC One and IRC Three respectively and will hope to retain their titles.
The award-winning 32m/104ft sailing yacht FARFALLA, a regular on the regatta circuit and a popular charter option from Southern Wind, will also be competing.
The thrilling 600-mile circuit traverses 11 Caribbean islands. Starting in Antigua, the race weaves around Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis, St Barths, St Martin and Anguilla before heading southwards to Guadeloupe and back to Antigua for the finish line.
- First look inside brand new M/Y SOLOPhotos of the 72m/236ft charter yacht SOLO have just been released, giving an exclusive insight into the deck spaces an...
- 10 of the best superyachts available for holiday chartersThe 2018 holiday season is fast approaching and if you’re looking to escape to warmer climes this winter, here is a rou...
- Feadship’s 92m M/Y AQUARIUS joins the global charter fleetAfter attending last week’s Monaco Yacht Show, the 92m/301ft motor yacht AQUARIUS is now available for charter.
- 8 top superyachts open for Thanksgiving chartersIf you’re looking to spend Thanksgiving with your loved ones enjoying a yacht charter vacation, then you’re in luck; th...
- Ex-charterer now owns new 111m Lurssen superycht TISThe owner of the brand new 111m/366ft superyacht TIS, which was launched from Lurssen earlier this week, has been confi...
- Amels M/Y LILI undertakes two-year global expeditionThe 55m/180ft superyacht LILI is giving charterers the opportunity to discover some of the most incredible cruising gro...