A marina on the Gold Coast, Australia, has reported a recent influx of superyacht bookings coinciding with the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games, proving current demand to be higher than expected.
In the past month, six superyachts – two from overseas and four Australian owned – have booked berths at Southport Yacht Club in Main Beach, Queensland, during April’s Commonwealth Games. This is up from one confirmed booking just four weeks ago.
The yacht club said although they always anticipated some extra bookings, the number of berths confirmed at this stage in the run up to Gold Coast 2018 is far more than expected.
In total, Southport Yacht Club are preparing for 15 plus superyachts to attend during the sporting event and plans are in place to build new marina berths in order to host the visitors.
The club’s general manager, Brett James, said the Border Force trial, which enables foreign-flagged vessels to clear customs on the coast, came into effect at the club on 1st July and was only adding to the city’s appeal.
Gold Coast City Marina in Coomera, meanwhile, reports nine superyacht bookings have already been made for the games.
On 4th April 2018, over 6,600 athletes and team officials from 70 nations and territories will converge on the Gold Coast for the 11-day sporting and cultural event. Among the sports taking place are athletics, hockey, cycling, gymnastics, rugby sevens, swimming, diving and weightlifting.
The city will shine on the world sporting stage and the promotional exposure for business, trade, investment, tourism and events will herald a new era in the region’s growth. This could include the recognition of the Gold Coast as an up-and-coming superyacht destination.
Situated in the south east corner of the state of Queensland, the Gold Coast stretches along 57 kilometres of coastline, defined by pristine sand, epic surf breaks and 300 days of sunshine a year.
Beyond the city’s beaches are vast, sub-tropical rainforests while the city itself offers a vibrant mix of shopping, theme parks, entertainment and events. Plus, as the host city for the games, more than $13.5 billion is being spent on major infrastructure projects.
Southport Yacht Club are preparing for 15 plus superyachts to attend during the games and plans are in place to build new marina berths
- Brand new ‘go-anywhere' M/Y ‘Planet Nine’ to open for charterAn incredibly powerful world explorer in a class of its own, the brand new 73m/240ft motor yacht ‘Planet Nine’ from Adm...
- 6 brand new charter yachts entering the market in 2018Want to be amongst the first to experience the features of a brand new superyacht in 2018? We’ve got you covered in our...
- The 5 Largest Charter Yachts Launched In 2017Rounding-up some of the hottest deliveries of the year, we countdown the 5 largest charter yachts which were launched i...
- 10 of the best new superyachts to charter in 2018Be amongst the first to experience the future by chartering one of the best new superyachts in 2018.
- Blue Planet TV series superyacht ALUCIA now available to charterCausing a sensation when she appeared on the second season of the hit BBC series Blue Planet in winter, the 56m/183ft e...
- Inside Below Deck Mediterranean Season 3 M/Y ‘Talisman Maiton’Premiering on Bravo TV on 15th May, Below Deck Mediterranean Season 3 will see Captain Sandy Yawn and a cast of familia...