Attracting hundreds of spectators and participants to Porto Cervo, the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta 2019 is well underway in Sardinia.
Following a brief delay, the flag was lowered and a pistol signalled the start of the first race at the 2019 Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta on June 3.
Buoyed by sunshine and light winds, the fleet of sailing yachts set off from Yacht Club Costa Smeralda (YCCS), undertaking a challenging course around La Maddalena archipelago.
A video by the YCCS gives viewers an insight into the friendly camaraderie and competition that has come to be expected from the prestigious regatta.
Now in its 12th edition, this is the first year that the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta has introduced a five-day racing format that aims to account for any races which need to be rescheduled.
It is also the first time the regatta will include multihulls measuring over 50 feet.
The races will continue until 8 June. The 6th will see a lay day for the majority of competitors, but Southern Winds-built yachts will enjoy their own race.
Now in its 12th edition, this is the first year that the Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta has introduced a five-day racing format.
While Southern Winds' yachts compete in every day of the races, the winners of this particular course will receive a trophy dedicated to the memory of Willy Persico, the founder of the Cape-Town based shipyard who passed away last year.
As ever, the races are enlivened by a rich social programme around the clubhouse, which includes yacht hops, cocktail evenings and gala dinners.
The festivities aim to facilitate networking and strengthen the bond between sailors and spectators.
With its miles of sandy shores and sparkling topaz water, the region is known for its unparalleled natural beauty, and the regatta marks the perfect way to extend an Italy yacht charter.
- In pictures: Inside Abeking & Rasmussen M/Y EXCELLENCEHer award-winning, spaceship-style exteriors have been the subject of much acclaim, but her interiors have been kept cl...
- Where are the brand new yachts of 2019 chartering this winter?Whether you’re looking to ring in the New Year in St Barts or explore the turquoise oasis of the Indian Ocean by yacht,...
- Where can I charter a yacht in the Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian?YachtCharterFleet brings you the latest information on the current state of the Bahamas and up-to-date advice on where ...
- Seychelles yacht charter special offered by 60m luxury yacht ‘St David’Escape to the Maldives and the Seychelles and enjoy no delivery fees when you charter the 60m/197ft motor yacht ‘St Dav...
- World's largest superyacht REV arrives in Norway for outfittingThe world's largest yacht, the 183m/600ft expedition yacht REV has completed her journey to Norway, where she is set to...
- 111m superyacht TIS: 33rd largest yacht in the world now for charterLurssen’s 111m/364ft motor yacht TIS is now available for crewed yacht charters in the Mediterranean.